Home / Accueil

Captain John Champion House

342 - Route 152, Northport, Île-du-Prince-Édouard, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2010/03/11

Showing front elevation; Alberton Historical Preservation Foundation, 2009
Showing front elevation
Archive image of house, 1971; Alberton Museum Collection
Archive image of house, 1971
Pas d'image

Autre nom(s)

Captain John Champion House
Fraser House

Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2010/04/07

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

This one-and-one-half storey Victorian Plain style house features a gable roof with central chimney. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the community of Northport and is located on a small lot about one hundred metres from the Northport Wharf with a panoramic view of Cascumpec Bay, Oulton's Island, and the sandhills.

Valeur patrimoniale

The house is valued for its historical association with Captain John Champion and other residents of Northport.

Captain John Champion (1847-1921) resided in this house with his wife, Sarah Rogers, and their three daughters, Kate, Ellie, and Blanche, who would later marry Rev. W.J. Phillips.

Champion had a cooperage shop and owned the vessel, "Sarah Pierre" as well as the "Sch. Express" which had been built in Essex, Massachusetts in 1884. He also managed the Canadian National Railway freight shed at the railway wharf.

When the schooner, the "A.J. McKeen" was wrecked nearby in November 1906, he organized the lifeboat crew who rescued the survivors. He later lobbied the federal government to establish the Sea Rescue Station in Northport.

After 1921, the property was purchased by William Aubrey, a boat builder. In 1957, it was owned by Upton (Charlie) Fraser. The current owner purchased it in 2009.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A46

Éléments caractéristiques

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the one-and-one-half storey massing
- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof
- the central brick chimney
- the off centre vestibule on the front elevation
- the single storey kitchen extension at the back of the house




Autorité de reconnaissance

Province de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard

Loi habilitante

Heritage Places Protection Act

Type de reconnaissance

Endroit historique inscrit au répertoire

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
L'architecture et l'aménagement

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction



Logement unifamilial

Architecte / Concepteur




Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A46

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées

Showing side elevation

Sea Rescue Station

This single storey wood framed building has a gable roof and wood shingle cladding. A flagstaff extends from one of the gable ends. It is located on the shore at the north end…


Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches