Home / Accueil

St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church

10 Lady Slipper Drive North, Miscouche, Île-du-Prince-Édouard, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2010/03/11

Showing front elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Showing front elevation
Showing side elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Showing side elevation
Engraving of an earlier church on the site; Meacham's Illustrated Historical Atlas of PEI, 1880
Engraving of an earlier church on the site

Autre nom(s)


Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

1890/01/01 à 1892/01/01

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2010/04/16

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

This well maintained ornate church is designed in the High Victorian Gothic style. It features a symmetrical facade with a rectangular nave framed by twin square towers with buttresses. Side aisles are located on each side of the nave with a clerestory above. A sacristy is located at the back or east end of the church. The pointed arch Gothic windows feature tracery and hood moulding. The gable roof has decorative bargeboard and a cross at its peak. Each spire is also topped by a cross. The east end of the church has a decorative corner turret rising from each corner.

Valeur patrimoniale

The church is valued for its well preserved High Victorian Gothic architecture; as an example of the work of Island architect, George Edwin Baker; and for its importance to the heritage of the Acadian people of Miscouche.

The first church on this site was constructed in 1823. It was a much more subdued building featuring a gable roof with eave returns and a small tower set on the roof of the church. An engraving of this building was shown in Meacham's 1880 Atlas of PEI.

By the late 1880s, this small church was proving inadequate to the needs of the parish and it was decided to construct a larger building. Under the direction of Rev. John A. MacDonald, the noted PEI architect, George E. Baker, was employed to design the new church, while Schurman and Clark Company of Summerside were the contractors.

Work began in 1890, with the cornerstone being laid on July 26, 1891. It was completed and dedicated on December 8, 1892.

The impressive building has a great deal of intricacy in its exterior cladding and trim. Some of these features include the gingerbread bargeboard of the gable roof; the shingle and board and batten cladding; and the crocket decoration on the triangular moulding above the three doors of the entrance.

The church bells were later installed in 1901 and 1905. The church represents a rebirth of pride Acadians had in their culture and religious heritage following the 1884 Miscouche Conference. This was the second of three Acadian National Congresses held in the Maritimes and was the one where the Acadians adopted their distinctive flag.

The well preserved church remains a landmark in the community and is a source of pride to its parishoners.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S32

Éléments caractéristiques

The heritage value of the church is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the rectangular nave with side aisles and clerestory
- the twin square towers on the facade
- the sacristy at the back of the nave
- the pointed arch Gothic windows with tracery
- the hood moulding with crockets
- the gable roof with decorative bargeboard
- the crosses at the peak of each spire and at the peak of the gable roof
- the decorative turrets
- the buttresses on the tower, nave, and sacristy




Autorité de reconnaissance

Province de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard

Loi habilitante

Heritage Places Protection Act

Type de reconnaissance

Endroit historique inscrit au répertoire

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
Les institutions religieuses

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction



Religion, rituel et funéraille
Centre religieux ou lieu de culte

Architecte / Concepteur




Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/S32

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées

West and south elevations

St. John the Baptist R.C. Presbytery

The St. John the Baptist Presbytery is a 1 ½ storey wood frame, Gothic Revival parish house with Eastlake/Renaissance Revival architectural detailing, built circa 1895 in…


Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches