NORTH TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
10105 - 112 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T5G, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
NORTH TELEPHONE EXCHANGE
Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital
City of Edmonton Archives
Historical Exhibits Building
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The former North Telephone Exchange building is an Edwardian-era two-storey rectangular masonry structure on a prominent corner lot in a primarily residential neighbourhood north of downtown Edmonton.
The North Telephone Exchange derives historical importance from its close association with the rapid growth of Edmonton prior to World War One and its long use as a civic building. A marker of Edmonton's booming economic situation, the structure is significant as evidence of the optimism of the time and the growing demand for telephone service outside of the downtown, in particular in the residential market prior to World War One. The building remained in its original use until 1958.
The North Telephone Exchange is also valued for its association with prominent Alberta architect Allen Merrick Jeffers. Jeffers had designed several public buildings as Alberta's Provincial Architect from 1907 to 1912, and is particularly significant for designing the Alberta Legislature. He was also Edmonton's City Architect from 1912 to 1914. This classically-inspired Edwardian-era structure was characteristic of Jeffers' style and training.
The Edwardian-era neo-classical styling of the building is modest as befits an industrial structure, yet massed and scaled to be prominent in the growing neighbourhood. Its strong symmetry and regular fenestration convey a sense of strength and permanence while its emphasis on verticality with horizontal banding further add to its sophistication as a carefully-styled building. The North Telephone Exchange's open interior layout and upper loading dock enabled the city to further expand telephone operations from this building. Large double-hung wooden windows allowed natural light to enter and provided ventilation for operators and equipment.
The North Telephone Exchange is significant as a landmark among its mainly working-class residential neighbourhood. Its imposing appearance and location make it stand out among the surrounding single-family residences of the area.
City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 10498)
The building's Edwardian-era style, historical function and context are exemplified by the following elements:
- prominent corner location and minimal setback;
- form, scale and massing;
- overall symmetry of the building;
- red brick construction;
- tall, symmetrical fenestration six-over-one windows around both storeys;
- distinctive raised parapets at the east and west gable ends;
- distinctive multi-panel semicircular attic windows;
- projecting wraparound cornices and belt courses;
- upper floor loading door and transom window on the west gable end;
- projecting lifting beam at loading door.
- open floor plate on upper storey;
- intact lifting beam.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Alb.)
Historical Resources Act
Type de reconnaissance
Ressource historique municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
1912/01/01 à 1958/01/01
Thème - catégorie et type
- Économies en développement
- Communications et transport
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Santé et recherche
- Centre de communications
Architecte / Concepteur
Allen Merrick Jeffers
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (File: HC-2120)
Réfère à une collection