Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1752/01/01 à 1960/01/01
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Tilting Registered Heritage District is located on the Northeast Coast of Newfoundland, in the community of Tilting, Fogo Island. The district is comprised of the landscape, shoreline including attached metal rings associated with trap berths, harbour ponds, small islands, one summer trail and portions of two others, portions of slide paths, three cemeteries, gardens, fences, buildings including a church, parish hall, former school, post office, two convenience stores, houses, a range of outbuildings including fishing buildings, stables, barns, one milk shed, haysheds, and root cellars.
Tilting was designated a Registered Heritage District for several reasons. Tilting is a continuing cultural landscape and is a rare example of an Irish Newfoundland outport in its combination of features. Many aspects of the 19th century layer of settlement are still in existence. The agglomerated settlement form of family neighbourhoods, reflecting earlier Irish settlement patterns, is still present and valued by many members of the community.
Tilting possesses a near complete range of traditional buildings and spaces associated with the inshore fishery having the same interrelationships as in the 19th century. Tilting illustrates adaptations of Irish settlement patterns both in clusters of family neighbourhoods and in its garden layouts. It is also important as a prime example of a Newfoundland settlement involved with the family based inshore fishery. It has one of the best collections of inshore fishery related structures on the Island of Newfoundland and there are gardens, agricultural structures and a variety of traditionally made fences still in use in the community.
Tilting Registered Historic District is a rare surviving example of a once common system of land and community organization particular to Newfoundland, which in its form, extent and endurance continues to speak eloquently to the history and community organization of this particular outpost. Further, a tradition of taking the land has resulted in the creation of a landscape distinguished by a combination of thrown, stacked and piled stone walls. It is a landscape associated with a land use practice that places little value on the formalities of land ownership and requires the cooperative efforts of the community to build and maintain.
Within this district are several Provincially Designated Heritage Structures, such as the Dwyer House, the Pearce Foley House, the Martin Green House, and the oldest structure the Lane House, which dates from the mid-19th century. They serve as physical reminders of the types of homes designed by early settlers to the region. Their vernacular designs are further examples of the resourcefulness of Tilting inhabitants and prove the expression of early Irish influence amongst the Island’s people and ways of life.
Source: Tilting Registered Heritage District file, Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1 Springdale Street, P.O. Box 5171, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5V5
All those elements that embody the architectural characteristics of the Registered Heritage District of Tilting, including:
-the near complete range of traditional buildings and spaces associated with the inshore fishery having the same interrelationships as in the 19th century;
-the placement and small scale of the buildings and structures;
-interrelationship of buildings and fences;
-use of traditional materials;
-the traditional uses and construction methods of fishery buildings;
-proximity of buildings to the water’s edge; and
-all fences used for traditional purposes, and made with traditional materials.
All those elements that embody the cultural and natural characteristics of the Registered Heritage District of Tilting, including:
-its continual use as a cultural landscape that is a rare example of an Irish Newfoundland outport in its combination of features; and
-its illustrated adaptations of Irish settlement patterns both in its clusters of family neighbourhoods and in its garden layouts.
Terre-Neuve et Labrador
Autorité de reconnaissance
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Historic Resources Act
Type de reconnaissance
Arrondissement patrimonial inscrit au répertoire
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1 Springdale Street, P.O. Box 5171, St. John's, NL, A1C 5V5
Réfère à une collection
Located on Church Lane in Tilting, the Lane House is a wooden two and storey house with a steep gable roof. Constructed circa 1840 by Irish immigrant Augustin MacNamara, the…
The Dwyer House is a wooden two storey structure with a steep gable roof. Located in Tilting, Fogo Island, NL, it was constructed between 1887-1890. The designation is confined to…
Martin Greene House and Outbuildings
The Martin Greene House is a two storey house built on a gable-ell plan. Built in the early 1900s, it is located close to the harbour in Titling, NL. The designation includes the…