Wolfville Memorial Library
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1912/01/01 à 1912/12/31
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Railroad Station is a two-and-a-half storey brick and stone building with a centre frontispiece on the south wall. The grounds surrounding the station are landscaped into parkland setting with adjacent parking. A local landmark, the station is a municipally designated building owned by the Town of Wolfville. The designation includes the building and property.
Wolfville’s Railroad Station, one of Nova Scotia’s few remaining brick railway stations, is valued for its historical association to the railway system in the Annapolis Valley and for its renovation by Wolfville citizens. Since its construction in 1912, built to replace the previous wooden rail station that was destroyed by fire in 1911, the Station illustrates the importance of the railway to the economic and cultural history of Wolfville. Since the 1860s through to 1990, the railway transported everything from apples to university students to and from the community.
In 1990, the Station was abandoned when the Dominion Atlantic Rail (D.A.R.) ceased passenger service in the Annapolis Valley. However, after months of community fundraising efforts, private donations, and support from the province and the Town of Wolfville, the station was purchased by the Wolfville Library Foundation. The Station was renovated for use as the town library in 1993. Structural features were either restored or replaced, including interior wood working and detailing. In 1994, the Foundation received the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia Built Heritage Award for the Station’s restoration.
In its current role as library, the Railroad Station continues to function as a cultural meeting centre for Wolfville citizens. The Station’s Charlotte Coombs Haley Community Room is used for non-profit and commercial meetings, classes, and workshops.
sources: Town of Wolfville Heritage Property Program files, Railroad Station file.
Character-defining elements of the Railroad Station include:
- unpainted brick building materials;
- medium hip roof with massive supports;
- sandstone sills and lintels on windows and doors;
- three skylights on west section;
- original-style eaves with modified crown mouldings;
- original angled roof design with mix of original asbestos-cement shingles and replacement plastic shingles;
- mix of original and replica doors, windows, trim, wainscoting and oak banisters.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (N.-É.)
Heritage Property Act
Type de reconnaissance
Bien inscrit au répertoire municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Économies en développement
- Communications et transport
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- L'organisation communautaire
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Transport ferroviaire
- Gare ou autre installation ferroviaire
Architecte / Concepteur
Herbert E. Gates
Emplacement de la documentation
Inventory Site Form found at Planning and Development Services, Town of Wolfville, 200 Dykeland Street, Wolfville, NS B4P 1A2
Réfère à une collection