OBLATS MAISON PROVINCIALE
9916 - 110 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T5K, Canada
Reconnu formellement en:
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1928/01/01 à 1929/01/01
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is an L-shaped three and one-half storey brick building with a cupola. Completed in 1929, it occupies one and one-half city lots next to St. Joachim's church in the central Edmonton district of Oliver.
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is significant for its association with the Les Peres Oblats de Marie Immaculees Territoires de Nord Ouest, pioneering Catholic missionaries in the Canadian West. It served as their headquarters for the Ecclesiastical Province of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Completed in 1929, it provided space for offices and administrative functions, as well as residential quarters for the priests and administrators connected with the headquarters functions of the Ecclesiastical Province of Alberta and Saskatchewan. It was in continuous use for this purpose until 1997. While its Renaissance Revival architectural influences are restrained, it represents a good example of the style in Alberta.
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is also significant for serving for a time as the rectory for St. Joachim's parish, the first Roman Catholic parish in Edmonton. The St. Joachim's rectory provided the administrative home for the parish and a residence for the Oblates who served the parish.
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is a local landmark and one of a number of buildings that formed part of the area known as the "Mission Block". Built on land acquired from the Hudson's Bay Company in 1886, the mission's location, near central Edmonton, was chosen for its proximity to Edmonton's emerging francophone population. The principal buildings of the Mission Block - the Oblats Maison Provinciale, St. Joachim's church and rectory, and the Convent of the Faithful Companions of Jesus - manifested a substantial religious presence in the district of Oliver in downtown Edmonton. St. Joachim's church and the Oblats Maison Provinciale are the only surviving buildings of the Mission Block.
Source: City of Edmonton (Bylaw: 13774)
The character-defining elements of the Oblats Maison Provinciale include such features as:
- the form, massing and materials;
- the original Flemish bond brick facades with brick detailing at the corners;
- the central raised pedimented door with arched door entrance and circular fan light above timber doors;
- the brick voussoirs and keystone in door arch;
- the parged exposed foundation with basement windows;
- the stone banding at the first floor level and second floor level;
- the first floor arched recessed timber sash windows with keystones and precast sills;
- the second and third floor flat arch timber sash windows with keystones and precast sills;
- the patterns of fenestration and window styles;
- the metal cornice with modillions;
- the timber veranda with square posts and detailing at the rear of the building;
- the octagonal cupola and metal cross.
- original details and finishes;
- the vestibule lobby area including wood doors, trims and terrazzo flooring.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Alb.)
Historical Resources Act
Type de reconnaissance
Ressource historique municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- Les institutions religieuses
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Édifice à logements multiples
- Religion, rituel et funéraille
- Centre religieux ou lieu de culte
Architecte / Concepteur
J. P. Desrochers
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Edmonton, Planning and Development Department, 10250 - 101 Street, Edmonton, AB T5J 3P4 (File: Designation File)
Réfère à une collection
OBLATS MAISON PROVINCIALE
The Oblats Maison Provinciale is a rectangular three and one-half storey brick building completed in 1929. It occupies one and one-half city lots in Edmonton's Oliver district. …