Home / Accueil

William Stickwood House

896, Mulock Drive, Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 1998/06/15

896 Mulock Dr. - Left: Stickwood Walker House (Brick Structure) Right: Bogart House (Wood Structure); Heritage Newmarket 2006
896 Mulock Dr. - Stickwood/Bogart House
896 Mulock Dr. - Partial View of Front Facade; Heritage Newmarket 2006
896 Mulock Dr. - William Stickwood House
896 Mulock Dr. - View of Stickwood Walker Farmhouse; Heritage Newmarket 2006
896 Mulock Dr. - Stickwood Walker Farmhouse

Autre nom(s)

William Stickwood House
Fernbank Farms
Stickwood Walker House

Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

1830/01/01 à 1885/01/01

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2008/01/18

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

The William Stickwood House (also known as Fernbank Farms and The Stickwood Walker Farm) was built in 1885 as an upgrade to the 1830 Bogart family home. This one-and-a-half storey Gothic Revival house is constructed of grey/white brick and rests on a stone rubble foundation. The Stickwood family was important in the development of Newmarket as the only local manufacturer of bricks.

The William Stickwood House has been designated for its heritage value by the Town of Newmarket By-law 1998-59.

Valeur patrimoniale

The main portion of the residence was constructed in 1885 for William J. Stickwood, brick maker and farmer. When purchased, the site had a one-storey wooden structure that still remains next to the 1885 structure. This wooden tail-wing, which extends east of the main portion of the residence, was constructed for the previous owners of the farm, the Bogarts. William Stickwood, born in 1847, operated a brick yard on Srigley Street, located in the original downtown core of Newmarket. This brick yard supplied construction material for many buildings in Newmarket and the surrounding area in the 19th century. The property was purchased by the Town of Newmarket in 2003.

The one-and-a-half storey residence is constructed of local grey/white brick. The building is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival farmhouse, with a four bay façade and a “T”-shaped floor plan in which the tail-wing extends to the south. All the windows are two-over-two double hung sash with arched brick toppers and louvered shutters. The roof of the house is cross-gabled and above the front windows there is a central gable. The principal entrance on the southwest side of the building is sheltered by a single storey enclosed veranda. One large chimney also adorns the residence, which is located on the east elevation of the brick structure.

Sources: Town of Newmarket heritage designation By-law 1998-59, June 15, 1998 and Heritage Newmarket file: 896 Mulock Drive.

Éléments caractéristiques

Character defining elements which illustrate the heritage value of the William Stickwood house include its:
- representation of the Stickwood family and their importance in the development of Newmarket as the only local brick manufacturers
- Gothic Revival design with a “T”-shaped floor plan and a cross gable roof
- constructed of grey/white brick that was manufactured by William Stickwood
- four bay front façade with central gable
- fenestration of two-over-two, double hung sash with brick arches and louvered shutters
- single storey veranda enclosing the principal entrance
- stone rubble foundation
- one grey/white brick chimney located on the east side of the brick structure




Autorité de reconnaissance

Administrations locales (Ont.)

Loi habilitante

Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario

Type de reconnaissance

Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Économies en développement
Exploitation et production

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction


Logement unifamilial


Architecte / Concepteur



William J. Stickwood

Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Newmarket Historical Society 134 Main Street South Newmarket, ON L3Y 3Y7 Heritage Newmarket c/o Elman Campbell Museum 134 Main Street South Newmarket, ON L3Y 3Y7

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées



Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches