189 Central Street
Bank of Nova Scotia House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The large Colonial Revival or Georgian two-storey white house at 189 Central Street is set back on a northeast corner lot at the intersection with Green Street. Mature ornamental hardwood trees line Central Street and evergreens are evident to the south of the house. It features a plain pedimented two-storey south extension facing Green and a modest central portico which serves as a main entrance facing Central Street. The registration includes the building and its lot.
The formal two-storey house at 189 Central Street has historical significance because of its association for sixty years (1927-1987) with the Bank of Nova Scotia. Its style is a classical arrangement of elements which reflect Georgian influences of symmetry and balance.
It was constructed in 1927 by the Bank of Nova Scotia as the home for the branch manager in Summerside. The contract for the 26 by 35 foot structure on the north corner of Green and Central Streets was awarded to the M. F. Schurman Company. The lower level was comprised of a dining room, kitchen, spacious hallway and a living room with a fireplace and an adjacent sunroom. The upper level was divided into four bedrooms. An interesting feature of the residence was the foundation, which the local press described as "interlocking tile, which gives a neat appearance and is very serviceable as well."
Henry Todd Begg was the first branch manager to live in the house along with his wife and three children. He and his family had moved to Summerside in 1921. His sudden death in 1931 at age 53 was a shock to the community. His obituary lamented his passing, stating that he "had won a place in the hearts of all and seemed during his sojourn in Summerside to have become a part of the very town itself."
Many other branch managers lived in the residence in the years leading up to 1987 when the Bank of Nova Scotia sold the house.
Although the original sun room on the south elevation has been altered, the house still maintains its Georgian symmetrical facade, eave returns, and unique quarter circle windows. It is an asset to its streetscape.
Source: City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profile
The Colonial Revival or Georgian style character-defining elements of this building include:
- the two-storey elevation with gable roof and eave returns
- the double chimney centred on the south elevation
- the white clapboard cladding, wood corner boards and plain frieze below wide eaves
- the symmetrical arrangement of windows and doorways
- the six-over-one windows, many with hood mouldings
- the paired attic quarter circle windows in each gable
- the two-storey gable roof pedimented extension on the south elevation that began as a single storey glazed sunroom
- the single storey pedimented gable roofed portico with doric columns on the west elevation
- the shed roofed single storey entrance and extension side by each on the east elevation
- the central pedimented gable roof dormer with window on the east elevation
- the location of the house on the corner of Central and Green Streets
Prince Edward Island
City of Summerside
Heritage Conservation Bylaw SS-20
Registered Historic Place (Summerside)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profiles
Cross-Reference to Collection