156 Summer Street
M.F. Schurman House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The aesthetically pleasing and well preserved residence at 156 Summer Street was built in 1916 for the owner of the major construction company M.F. Schurman Company Ltd. Located in a pleasant residential area of Summerside, it is a fine example of the Colonial Revival style that was popular during this time period. Its features include a symmetrical facade, hipped roof, and wide eaves with modillion decoration.
The heritage value of 156 Summer Street lies in its association with the prominent M.F. Schurman family, whose construction company built many public buildings in the Maritime Provinces. The house is also valued for its Colonial Revival architectural style and for its contribution to the streetscape.
The handsome residence was built for Maynard Schurman and his wife in 1916. Mr. Schurman was very prominent in the community as a shareholder and manager of the M.F. Schurman Company Limited. Founded in 1896 and incorporated in 1907, the company owned a sawmill and woodworking facility, sold lumber and building supplies, and carried out general contracting.
At the time the house was built, Mr. Schurman was 53 years of age. He was active in the community, serving on the Board of Trade and the Board of Trustees of the local hospital. He was a town councillor from 1914 to 1918 and again from 1922 to 1934. His wife, Sarah, was the daughter of early Summerside builder, Thomas Beattie. Mrs. Schurman served as a director of the Schurman Company for many years and was active in community and church concerns.
Around 1939, the Schurman couple moved to the former Christian Church parsonage at 166 Summer Street and their son Harold and his wife Leila (who had married in 1929) moved into the house. The residence was badly damaged by fire in December 1941 and underwent extensive restoration work.
Harold Beattie Schurman (b. 1906) started his career with the company in 1925. He assumed active management in 1938 and became president after his father's death in 1952. Under his direction, the business was greatly expanded. Over the years, the firm built large structures all over the Maritime provinces and during and after the years of the Second World War was awarded major contracts for the RCAF Station in Summerside.
In his personal life, H.B. Schurman was elected to the town council in 1937 and was active in the Liberal party provincially and federally. He and his wife Leila, a daughter of Albert C. Saunders who served as PEI Premier from 1927-1930, were both strong supporters of the Prince County Hospital and were prominent citizens. After the death of Mr. and Mrs. Schurman in 1982 and 1989 respectively, the house was sold to its current owner.
Source: City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profile
Character-defining elements that reflect the heritage value of 156 Summer Street include:
- the large two-storey house with a symmetrical square configuration
- the hipped roof
- the brick chimneys
- the four gabled dormers featuring pillasters, eave returns, and palladian and round arch windows
- the front veranda and back vestibule
- the central square columned pedimented gable entrance
- the windows arranged symmetrically on the east and south elevations
- the wide eaves with decorative flat brackets or modillions
- the corner pilasters and wide moulding of the windows and doors
- the dentil decoration of the north oriel window
- the converted twin square bays to entryways leading to unobtrusive decking on the south elevation
- the continuing contribution of the house to its streetscape on a landscaped lot
Prince Edward Island
City of Summerside
Heritage Conservation Bylaw SS-20
Registered Historic Place (Summerside)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profiles
Cross-Reference to Collection