36 Granville Street
D.M. Waugh House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The two-storey Foursquare style residence at 36 Granville Street has a hipped roof and an open verandah, shuttered windows, and a frontage of mature trees. It is located on the west side of the busy thoroughfare of Granville Street at Fitzroy. The building was constructed in 1907 by its original owner D. Montgomery Waugh and later became the home of other prominent Summerside citizens. The registration includes the building and its lot.
The house on the southwest corner of Granville and Fitzroy Streets was built to replace one lost by D. Montgomery Waugh in the Great Fire of 1906. It is valued for this association, the prominence of its subsequent owners, its well preserved Foursquare style, and for its ongoing contribution to the residential streetscape of a major thoroughfare of the city.
A native of Summerside, Mr. Waugh ran a grocery business with W.S. Steeves on Water Street at the time of the fire and later went on to be sole proprietor. The excavation of the cellar was started in the autumn of 1907 and the Waugh family moved into the new residence in January 1908. After Mr. Waugh passed away in 1915 at the age of fifty, his widow stayed in the house for three years before moving to Charlottetown to live with her sister.
It was subsequently owned by James P. Crockett for a year and then by D.J. Bonnell, advertising manager at the R.T. Holman Company for several years. When Mr. Bonnell left the province, he advertised the positive features of the cosy four bedroom house in the September 1923 Summerside Journal.
Dr. Harry S. Allen was the next owner. He was the son of well-known citizen, J.S. Allen, who was proprietor of several hotels during his life in Summerside. Harry Allen attended Baltimore Dental College and established a practice that lasted for more than fifty years. He and his wife, Eva Hinton, lived at 36 Granville for almost three decades. When they sold the house in 1952, they moved into a new bungalow that was constructed for them on the southeast corner of the same intersection.
The purchaser of the dwelling was pharmacist Edward P. Foley who owned and operated Foley's Drugstore on Water Street. He was well respected in his field, being named an honorary life member of the PEI Pharmaceutical Association and also serving as a president of the national association. Mr. Foley was active in politics, representing 5th Prince as a Liberal in the PEI Legislature from 1935 until 1943 and again from 1951 to 1959. He and his wife Helen, a daughter of Jeremiah Noonan, had no children. Mrs. Foley died in 1968 and Mr. Foley lived in the house until 1980.
Source: City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profile
The Foursquare style house has the following character-defining elements:
- the two-storey square massing
- the steeply pitched hipped roof with asphalt shingles and a single storey addition at the west elevation which has a gable roof
- the brick chimney
- the front (east) facing dormer with hipped roof and double windows
- the ground floor veranda with spindles and round doric columns which shelters the front doorway at one end balanced by a shallow bay window at the other
- the original window placement which remains intact
- the ongoing contribution of the house to the historic post Great Fire of 1906 streetscape
Prince Edward Island
City of Summerside
Heritage Conservation Bylaw SS-20
Registered Historic Place (Summerside)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Summerside, Heritage Property Profiles
Cross-Reference to Collection