Montmorency Park National Historic Site of Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Located in the historic core of the City of Québec, at the top of Côte de la Montagne, Montmorency Park National Historic Site of Canada is an urban park that forms part of the Fortifications of Québec National Historic Site of Canada. No surface structure remains to illustrate its role as the site of the Parliament of the Province of Canada; rather, what remains are its associations with military history, including the views towards the river, the battery, and the defensive wall. These associations contribute to its past as part of the military infrastructure of the city. Montmorency Park has several commemorative monuments, and several mature trees.
Montmorency Park was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1949 for the following reason:
-it is one of the sites where the Parliament of the Province of Canada met between 1841 and 1866.
In 1688, Monsignor de Saint-Vallier acquired this property to construct his Episcopal palace, which was erected between 1693 and 1695 to designs drawn up by Claude Baillif. The original structure was heavily damaged during the bombardment of Quebec in 1759. After repairs were made, the structure was used for various purposes until rented by the government in 1777 to serve as the governor’s offices. The legislative assembly of Lower Canada met here beginning in 1792. Finally, in 1831 the building was sold to the government, whereupon extensive alterations and reconstructions were made. No sooner was the building finished than, in 1854, it was burned to the ground. A new building erected later on this site briefly housed the Parliament of the United Canadas. After Confederation, this building served briefly as the legislative assembly of Quebec until the present building was constructed. The present building was also destroyed by fire. In 1908, after years of neglect, the area was cleared and Montmorency Park came into existence.
Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, May 1949; Commemorative Integrity Statement.
Key elements contributing to the heritage value of this site include:
-its location in the heart of Québec, at the top of Côte de la Montagne, and in proximity to the cemetery below;
-its views towards the urban centre on one side and its views downhill towards the river;
-surface and underground vestiges of the archaeological remains of the former Parliament of the Province of Canada, and the site’s association with military history;
-the battery of cannon, and retaining wall.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
1841/01/01 to 1866/01/01
1950/01/01 to 1950/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Exhibition Centre
- Military Defence Installation
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection