Home / Accueil

CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY STATION

Paradise Valley, Alberta, T0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/09/30

Canadian Pacific Railway Station, Paradise Valley (2006); Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch
Front facade
Canadian Pacific Railway Station, Paradise Valley (2006); Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch
Interior
No Image

Other Name(s)

CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILWAY STATION
Paradise Valley Train Station
Paradise Valley Railway Station
CPR Station

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1929/01/01 to 1929/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/03

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Canadian Pacific Railway Station is a one-storey, wood frame building situated on 0.878 hectares in the Village of Paradise Valley. Constructed circa 1929, the station is a simple, small-scale building featuring horizontal wood siding and a cedar-shingled gable roof. The station sits adjacent to an Alberta Wheat Pool grain elevator which is not included in the designation.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Canadian Pacific Railway Station lies in its excellent representation of standard railway station architecture and in its symbolic value as an emblem of the central role of railways in opening the province to settlement and agriculture.

In 1929, the Canadian Pacific Railway completed work on a line between Marsden, Saskatchewan and Paradise Valley, Alberta. With the arrival of steel, the agricultural infrastructure of Paradise Valley boomed; at the height of its prosperity, the small community boasted six grain elevators. As Paradise Valley was a modestly populated settlement at the terminus of a branch line, the CPR opted to construct a very humble depot to serve the community. The station was built circa 1929 according to plan H-14-38A, a standardized design scheme for simple, portable stations that were erected in settlements requiring only basic - and possibly temporary - railway services. This modest wood frame building consisted of three small rooms - a waiting room, office, and agent's quarters - and was built by the CPR to facilitate grain and supplies handling. It was also used to coordinate mail and telegram services. In the early 1990s, the Canadian Pacific Railway ended all train service to Paradise Valley and the station was closed.

With the gradual disappearance of early train stations from Alberta's communities, buildings like the Paradise Valley Canadian Pacific Railway Station have gained increased historic significance as structural embodiments of the essential role that the railways played in establishing settlement and agricultural economy in the province. The station at Paradise Valley possesses particular value as a rare example of a small-scale, portable train depot.

Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 2247)

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the Canadian Pacific Railway Station include such features as:
- mass, form, and scale;
- horizontal wood drop siding painted brown;
- cedar-shingled gable roof and metal chimney stack;
- original floor plan;
- fenestration pattern and style, including single and paired multi-pane original windows;
- pattern of doors;
- original interior elements, including V-joint horizontal panelling, fir flooring, station agent's office, stove, and artifacts original to site.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Alberta

Recognition Authority

Province of Alberta

Recognition Statute

Historical Resources Act

Recognition Type

Provincial Historic Resource

Recognition Date

2008/09/30

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum
Leisure
Historic or Interpretive Site

Historic

Transport-Rail
Station or Other Rail Facility

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 2247)

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4665-1344

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places