Home / Accueil

Alan and Mary Nisbet Home

4273 Hopedale Road - Route 13, Hunter River, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2008/10/06

Showing southeast elevation; Province of PEI, Carter Jeffery, 2008
Showing southeast elevation
Showing east elevation; Province of PEI, Carter Jeffery, 2007
Showing east elevation
Showing northeast elevation; Province of PEI, Carter Jeffery, 2007
Showing northeast elevation

Other Name(s)

Alan and Mary Nisbet Home
MacLeod-Spence Home

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/04

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Alan and Mary Nisbet Home is one of the oldest houses in Hunter River. It is built in the Island Ell style with wood shingle cladding, gable roofs and eave returns. It is located close to the street.

Heritage Value

The house is valued for its association with the early commercial and military history of Hunter River and for its Gable Ell architectural style.

The building was constructed around 1849 by Lt. Colonel Theophillis S. MacLeod (1848-1938). He was a merchant-tailor and he operated his business from the house which was then a two-storey gable house with the facade facing to the north.

MacLeod was the commander of No. 5 Company - a militia unit in Hunter River. During the 1885 Riel Rebellion, he offered his services to go to the West to fight against the uprising. By 1898, he was the commander of the 82nd Battalion of Infantry in Military District No. 12. When he died in November 1938, he was in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

The next resident of the home was John MacKenzie, but little is known of him. By 1905, it was owned by John Rackham. He remodelled the house, moving the facade around to face the east and adding the kitchen ell addition onto the north side of the house.

The next owners were John (1864-1954) and Sarah (1866-1954) Spence. During their time, the two front rooms of the gable side of the house were used for commercial purposes. A branch of the Royal Bank of Canada operated from 1913 to 1918 on the right side of the house. A telephone office was located on the left side of the house from 1922 to 1974.

In 1954, Hedley Spence inherited the house from his parents. He operated a barber shop on the site, while his wife, Amelia, was a popular local baker.

The current owners purchased the property in 1990 and operated a bed and breakfast from the residence until 2004.

With its long history in the community and associations with early residents of Hunter River, the home remains an important asset to the Village of Hunter River.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/H15

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the wood frame and wood shingle cladding
- the Gable Ell architectural style
- the gable roof with eave returns
- the brick chimneys
- the dormer window
- the verandah with turned posts and balustrade
- the fenestration of the windows and doors



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/H15

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places