Home / Accueil

Canada House Municipal Heritage Building

St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, A1C, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1981/10/24

Exterior view of front facade, Canada House, 74 Circular Road, taken February 2005.; HFNL 2005
Canada House, 74 Circular Road, St. John's
One half of the iron gate that opens onto the property 74 Circular Road, Canada House.  Entire gate says "Canada House" when closed. Photo taken October 26, 2007.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2007
Iron gate, 74 Circular Road
View of main facade, looking northward. Photo taken October 26, 2007.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2007
Canada House, 74 Circular Road, St. John's

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2008/11/26

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Canada House is a two-and-one-half storey, Queen Anne Revival, single dwelling located at 74 Circular Road, St. John's. The municipal heritage designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Heritage Value

74 Circular Road, Canada House, has been designated a Municipal Heritage Building because of its aesthetic and historical values.

74 Circular Road has aesthetic value because is it a good example of Queen Anne Revival style. It has varying roof forms and a mixture of architectural styles. This house has a steep gable roof punctuated by three chimneys through the ridge. The asymmetrical facade has a two-storey tower at one end and one somewhat centrally located. They have steep pediments and this is reflected in the peaked dormer at the opposite end of the house. Large windows and a variety of classical features, like the pediments and columns are indicative of the Queen Anne Revival style. The house also has a transom over the main entrance located under the covered, open porch, as well as eaves brackets, dentils and some arched windows.

74 Circular Road has historic value because of its associations with its builders and prominent residents. It was built in 1902 by St. John’s contractors M. and E. Kennedy, and painted and decorated under the supervision of architect M. F. Butler for the Hon. J.D. Ryan, a member of the Newfoundland legislature and a prominent Water Street merchant. The next owner was Sir Michael Cashin, a former Prime Minister of Newfoundland. The next occupant was Captain Olaf Olsen, who managed a shipping company in St. John’s. In 1941 the house was taken over by the Canadian Government and it was then it acquired its present name, Canada House. It housed Charles J. Burchell, the first Canadian High Commissioner to Newfoundland. Between 1949, when Newfoundland joined with Canada, and 1960, the Hon. J. R. Smallwood, the Premier of Newfoundland, had his home and offices there. The property was sold by the government in 1960 and today it is a private residence.

Source: City of St. John's Council meeting held 1981/10/24

Character-Defining Elements

All those elements that embody the Queen Anne Style of architecture, including:
-varying roof forms;
-eaves brackets;
-bay windows;
-decorative work;
-all window styles, shapes and fenestrations; and
-Classical pediments and columns.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

City of St. John's

Recognition Statute

City of St. John's Development Regulations

Recognition Type

City of St. John's Heritage Building

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

M.F. Butler


M. and E. Kennedy

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
A1C 5V5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places