Links and documents
1932/01/01 to 1935/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Ukrainian Catholic Parish of Holy Eucharist (Kulikiw) is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of Hazel Dell No. 335. The designation applies to a wood-frame, one-storey church building, a detached bell tower and cemetery, located approximately 11 kilometres north of the Town of Invermay.
The heritage value of the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of Holy Eucharist (Kulikiw) lies in its association with the establishment of the Ukrainian Catholic faith in the Invermay and Okla districts of east-central Saskatchewan. The church was constructed between 1932 and 1935 on land donated by the Peshko family, who settled in the region after emigrating from Kulykiv, Ukraine. The cemetery adjacent to the church provides a tangible link between the families who established the church, and current parishioners.
The heritage value of the church also lies in its architecture. Unlike many other Ukrainian Catholic places of worship, this church has a modest, vernacular architectural style that is largely unadorned and does not follow the typical cruciform shape; nor does it have the three spires and adjacent towers found in many Ukrainian Catholic churches built in the early twentieth century across the prairies. The interior of the building does contain some architectural elements typically associated with the Ukrainian Catholic faith, such as a blue vaulted ceiling with gold stars, traditional cross patterns on the wall, and the traditional icon screen at the front of the church.
The heritage value of this property also lies in the remaining presence of the detached bell tower, a typical feature of Ukrainian Catholic churches.
Rural Municipality of Hazel Dell No. 335 Bylaw No. 5-1997.
The heritage value of the Ukrainian Catholic Parish of Holy Eucharist (Kulikiw) resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements associated with the establishment of the Ukrainian Catholic faith in the Invermay and Okla districts, such as the church and bell tower’s existence on their original locations and the headstones and arrangement of graves in the cemetery;
-those elements associated with the building’s modest, vernacular architectural style, including the rectangular shape, square windows and gable roof;
-those interior furnishings and artifacts that reflect the building’s use as a place of Ukrainian worship, including the icon screen, altar, painted blue ceiling with gold stars and traditional crosses on the walls.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive, Regina, SK
File: MHP 1866
Cross-Reference to Collection