4830, Highway #6, Haldimand County, Ontario, N3W, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Gibson-Alderson House, at 4830 Highway 6, is a fine example of a large family farm home. It was built in ca. 1889 and is a two-storey red brick, hip roofed, semi-gothic structure on a cut stone foundation.
Haldimand County has designated the site for its historical and architectural value in By-law 770/89.
The Gibson-Alderson House is valued for its association with Mary Sinclair and William Gibson who married in 1820 and had five sons and two daughters. In April 1845, Mary was widowed and moved to Oneida and bought the land upon which the Gibson-Alderson House now sits. One of the sons was later knighted, becoming Sir John Gibson. Another son, James, bought the land in 1870 and built the house in ca. 1889, after marrying Jane Lewis. In the house, they raised three sons and seven daughters. In 1920, the farm in its entirety passed to James's son, William Samuel. The farm was passed on to his son, William Allan, in 1954. In total, the house was home to at least 22 members of the Gibson family.
The Gibson-Alderson House, a two-storey brick building of semi-Gothic design, has full height bay windows on the front and south sides. The building is red brick with yellow brick quoins on each corner and arched yellow brick above all windows and doors. The west side of the house has a small veranda with ornately designed pillars and arches. Archways over the doors, too, have details carved into the bricks. Other interesting exterior characteristics include the cornice block detail and the stained glass transom in the front door. Interior characteristics include hardwood floor details, an elegant stairway, and an imitation marble fireplace made from steel and complete with hearth tiles.
Source: Haldimand County By-law 770/89.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Gibson-Alderson House include its:
- red brick construction with yellow brick quoins
- carved designs in the brick
- small veranda with ornate pillars and arches
- cornice block detail
- stained glass transom
- hardwood floors throughout
- elegant stairway
- interior ceiling medallions
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Local and provincial archives
Cross-Reference to Collection