Home / Accueil

Old Lighthouse Site Municipal Heritage Site

Cupids, Newfoundland and Labrador, A0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2007/04/03

View of Lighthouse Point, the small point of land on the right at the base of Spectacle Head, Cupids, NL. ; Lloyd Kane 2009
View of Lighthouse Point, Cupids, NL
View of the Old Lighthouse Site, indicated by an arrow in the background of the photo. The flag in the foreground is the John Guy Flag Site. Photo taken circa 1935.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2008
View of the Old Lighthouse Site, Cupids
Photo taken 2005, at Cupids highest point. View showing what would have been seen from the Old Lighthouse - taken from above.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2008
View looking from Cupids Harbour, towards the Atla

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/01/16

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Old Lighthouse Site is a rocky outcrop extending from the coastline of Cupids Harbour, on the north side. It is the site of the old lighthouse and light tower once used to guide mariners safely into the harbour. The designation consists of the remnants of the buildings’ foundations.

Heritage Value

The Old Lighthouse Site has been designated a Municipal Heritage Site for its historic and cultural values.

The Old Lighthouse Site has historic value as the site of an early 20th century, round, iron light tower and store which were used to guide mariners into the harbour. They were connected by a covered passageway. The lighthouse keeper, Chesley LeDrew, lived opposite the light tower, across the harbour, and took a boat to the site when operating the light. Details from the Year Book of Newfoundland, 1919 reveal that the light was white, with an occulting visible of 4 seconds, and eclipse of 4 seconds. The tower rose 37.25 feet (12 metres) above high water and was in operation during open navigation.

The Old Lighthouse Site has cultural value as an artifact on the landscape. The structures no longer sit on the landscape, but the memory of them resides with the community. It is a reminder of a time before automated light towers and the reliance of mariners on the skills of a qualified light keeper to give them safe passage through treacherous waters.

Source: Town of Cupids Council Meeting Motion 031-2007 April 3, 2007.

Character-Defining Elements

Those elements of the site related to the light tower and store, including:
-foundation remnants;
-location at the mouth of the harbour, situated on a rocky outcrop; and
-all artifacts remaining in situ or elsewhere related to the structures.



Newfoundland and Labrador

Recognition Authority

NL Municipality

Recognition Statute

Municipalities Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Building, Structure or Land

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

2007/01/01 to 2007/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production

Function - Category and Type


Nature Element


Navigational Aid or Lighthouse

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, 1 Springdale Street, P.O. Box 5171, St. John's, NL, A1C 5V5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places