Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
129-131 King Street is a wood framed one-and-one-half storey house with a gable front facing the street. Some of its features include its symmetrical facade, an array of six-over-six windows, two gabled porches on either end, and wood cladding. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.
The heritage value of 129-131 King Street lies in its role as an example of a pre-1863 one-and-one-half storey gable front house; its association with merchant George Fesch Crowe Lowden; and its role in supporting the King Street streetscape.
When James McGregor purchased the land at 129-131 King Street in 1850, there was no building yet on the property. At some point, within the next thirteen years, a house would be constructed because a dwelling of similar dimensions appears on the Lake Map of 1863. It also appears on the 1878 Panoramic View of Charlottetown map. George Fesch Crowe Lowden later purchased the property for 50 Pounds more than McGregor had paid for it.
George Fesch Crowe Lowden (1824-1864) and his heirs owned 129-131 King Street for many years with his family still being in possession of it as late as 1912. Lowden was a wealthy tobacco and flour merchant who had been born in Pictou, Nova Scotia, and moved to Charlottetown where he had a prominent business originally on Water Street. He also served as a justice of the peace for a time and was one of a number of businessmen who established the Union Bank of Prince Edward Island. He and his family are connected with a number of extant buildings in Charlottetown including: the Carvell Building, where his business occupied a store space; the current Haviland Club, which was his widow's home constructed after his death; and a number of rental properties, such as 129-131 King Street and 234 Sydney Street. Unfortunately, Lowden passed away in 1864, at age 40 leaving his widow, Esther Lowden, 2 young children and an unborn child.
129-131 King Street has had a number of owners throughout the years including: John Quinn, James F. Trainor, Nicholas Landrigan, Catherine Gillan and long-time residents, the McAulay family.
Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing of the building with the gable end facing the street
- the wood shingle cladding
- the symmetrical fenestration with six-over-six wooden windows
- the gable roof
- the size and placement of the brick chimneys
- the size and shape of the two front porches on either side of the facade each with gable roofs
Prince Edward Island
City of Charlottetown
City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2
Cross-Reference to Collection