Curries United Church
465003 Curries Road
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Curries United Church is located at 465003 Curries Road, and is situated on the northeast corner of the intersection of Curries Road and County Road 59, in the Village of Curries, Township of Norwich. The one-and-a-half-storey red-brick church was constructed in 1891.
The property was designated, by the Township of Norwich, in 1984, for its architectural and historic value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 14-84).
Curries United Church is located at a well-travelled intersection between various cities and towns including Ingersoll, Woodstock, and Norwich. The church's orientation to the intersection acts as a historical focal point for the rural community as well a landmark to those travelling through the area.
Curries United Church was constructed in 1891. A newly established Wesleyan Methodist congregation that would evolve into the United congregation purchased the land for the church in 1855. Several families have worshipped at the church for five and six generations, and include members of the 1891 congregation in their ancestry.
The Curries United Church is associated with the development of Curries community and Cuthbertson, the church's architect. Cuthbertson was a notable local architect, who based his practice in Woodstock.
Curries United Church is a fine example of Victorian church architecture. Some of Cuthbertson's better-known projects are the Woodstock Opera House, the House of Refuge and the County of Oxford Court House, all located in Woodstock. The church's façade is asymmetric, characteristic of Victorian architecture, and features regularly placed windows, intricate brickwork, as well as a three-storey bell tower at the church's northwest corner. The interior dark wooden ceiling has curved portions along the wall and is supported from above by hidden hand-hewn beams. The gallery features a detailed wrought-iron railing that was also designed by Cuthbertson. Also of note are the sloping pine floors, wainscoting and original stained glass, in the windows of the sanctuary.
Source: Township of Norwich By-law 14-84.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Curries United Church include its:
- continued use as a church since 1891
- original construction of intricate red brickwork
- asymmetric façade
- regularly placed windows in groups
- paired lancet windows on the north and south elevations
- red-brick three-storey bell tower and steep cone-shaped roof
- steep roofline
- dark wood curved ceiling portions supported by hidden hand-hewn beams
- gallery and its detailed wrought-iron railing
- sloping pine floors, stained glass in the original windows, and wainscoting of the sanctuary
- location at the intersection of Curries Road and County Road 59
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1984/01/01 to 1984/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Township of Norwich
210 Main Street East
Cross-Reference to Collection