Hoover Log House
95, Concession 4, Haldimand County, Ontario, N0A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Hoover Log House is a one-and-a-half storey, gable roof home with a small front veranda. It is located at 95 Concession Road 4, in Fisherville, Ontario. It dates to 1793, which is also the date of the first white settlement in Haldimand County.
The county designated it for historical and architectural value, with By-law 1628/00.
Jacob Hoover's family immigrated to Haldimand County from Pennsylvania and built the original Hoover Log House in ca. 1793. The Haldimand Historical Atlas says the family was “Swiss or of Swiss descent” and were “a thrifty and industrious family [who] soon effected large clearings, and became wealthy”. The family were Mennonites and, because they were neutral during the War of 1812, both American and British soldiers sought refuge in the Hoover House. A larger house, badly damaged in a 1994 fire, was added in the 1820s. It was a substantial two-storey, frame and brick house. In 1868, it passed to the Effinger family and was vacated in the early 1990s.
After the 1994 fire, Mr. William Fletcher and his family removed the debris from the larger house. Inside, they found the original log house in relatively good condition. Mr. Fletcher and his family removed the logs and reassembled them on a site at his farm. Fire damage necessitated rebuilding the house as a one-and-a-half storey building rather than two-storeys, like the original. As a result of the Fletcher Family's actions, the Hoover Log House still exists. The Hoover Log House is an artefact of the earliest white settlement in the area. It is a genuine pioneer log house.
Although the original structure was damaged by a fire, the Hoover Log Cabin, at 27' X 16.5', has been carefully reconstructed from the original hewn white oak logs and re-assembled in the same order as the original. The roof of the log house is traditional cedar shake. The half “v” notches on the squared logs are fitted together, just as they were originally. The house is fitted with original windows, three pairs of double-hung nine over nine sashes. Other materials salvaged from the original site include doors from the old barn and granaries, hinges, and latches.
Source: Haldimand County By-law 1628/00.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Hoover Log House include its:
- original cedar shingle roof
- original logs and clapboards used for exterior walls
- original floors used for the interior
- six over six sashes
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Jacob Huber (Hoover)
Location of Supporting Documentation
LACAC Haldimand County
Cross-Reference to Collection