Description of Historic Place
The Jones-Doughty Residence was built in 1865, by John Jones and his sons in the Italianate style with a hip roof. Located at 53 Talbot Street East, one of Jarvis's main thoroughfares, the house occupies an important place in the town's vista. The prominent Jones family donated land, time, and energy to the small town of Jarvis, Ontario.
The former City of Nanticoke, now Haldimand County, recognized this contribution by designating the home for its historical and architectural value through By-law 31-90.
The Canada Company held the first patent of this property, in 1835. In 1842, John Jones, from Woodstock, purchased the land. The Jones family was important in enriching the social life of the ordinary citizens of Jarvis, with their donations of land, time and energy to the Jarvis Fall Fair, racetrack, skating rink, and the Union Sunday School Picnic. Resident son, Edward, was postmaster for many years and retired as the oldest postmaster in Canada.
The Jones-Doughty Residence, built in 1865, is a polychromatic brick house with hints of Italianate styling as seen in the hip roof, round-headed windows, paired brackets, and window arches. Decorative brick patterning is found in the entry porch, at the wall corners and cornice, and above and below the windows. In the entry doorway, arched sidelights flank both the door and transom. The inner door has a large glass panel, sidelights and transom. Iron rods pass through the house to help stabilize it.
Source: Haldimand County By-law 31-90.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Jones-Doughty Residence include its:
- prominent location on Talbot Street
- polychromatic brick construction
- decorative brickwork on the entry porch, the wall corners and cornice, and above and below the windows
- iron rods through the house to stabilize it
- round headed windows
- hip roof