Talbot Street Baptist Church
First Christian Reformed Church
513 Talbot Street
Links and documents
1881/01/01 to 1882/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The First Christian Reformed Church is located at 513 Talbot Street, on the west side of Talbot Street, south of Kent Street, and north of Dufferin Avenue, in the City of London. The three-storey, white brick church was constructed between 1881 and 1882.
The property was designated, by the City of London, in 2000, for its historical and architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law L.S.P. – 3318-193).
Originally the Talbot Street Baptist Church and now the First Christian Reformed Church was constructed in 1881, when the need for more expansive quarters became apparent. The Talbot Street Baptist Church sold the building to the First Christian Reformed Church in 1953 and that congregation continues to worship there to this day.
The First Christian Reformed Church was designed by the architectural firm of Tracy and Durand, with George Durand, one of the most widely recognized architects to work in London in the 19th century, leading the project. The plan for the church demonstrates Durand's innovative and imaginative approach to design, seen in such elements as the polygonal stair towers and the intricate detailing. The church is one of few remaining urban churches designed by Durand that is still standing, in the London area.
The church, constructed primarily of local white brick on a fieldstone foundation, features decorative dichromatic brickwork which emphasizes the various sill and lintel courses of the building. The church façade is anchored on each side by two broad polygonal stair towers, is symmetrical in appearance and features dramatic lancet arches above all the windows and doors. The north and south side elevations display unusually large foundation windows. The First Christian Reformed Church is quite magnificent in its beauty and the originality of its design.
Sources: City of London, By-law L.S.P. – 3318-193; Reasons for Designation, 2000.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the First Christian Reformed Church include its:
- white brick construction with dichromatic brickwork used for emphasis
- polygonal stair towers
- projecting double-leaf main doors separated by a composite column, topped by a lunette
- lancet windows above all windows and doors
- entryway topped with a three-light window, flanked by lancet windows
- window tracery which features quatrefoil and trefoil motifs
- third-storey window on the façade which contains a Star of David
- original stained glass windows above the door on the façade
- grey stone sculpted drip moulds above the windows on the façade
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
2000/01/01 to 2000/01/01
1953/01/01 to 1954/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
George Durand, Tracy and Durand
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of London
Planning and Development Department
300 Dufferin Avenue
Cross-Reference to Collection