Home / Accueil

38 Mount Edward Road

38 Mount Edward Road, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2003/10/01

Showing southwest elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2006
Showing southwest elevation
Showing west elevation; City of Charlottetown, Natalie Munn, 2006
Showing west elevation
Robert Harris painting of Mount Edward Road, 1871; Confederation Centre Art Gallery
Robert Harris painting of Mount Edward Road, 1871

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/02/17

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

38 Mount Edward Road is a wood framed Colonial Revival influenced home located on a landscaped lot. It features a symmetrical facade and central entrance with a gable roof and broken pediment. The front door has a fanlight and sidelights. The designation encompasses the building's exterior and parcel; it does not include the building's interior.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of 38 Mount Edward Road lies in its role as a good example of a well preserved Colonial Revival influenced house.

38 Mount Edward Road was built in the Colonial Revival style in approximately 1930. The Colonial Revival style was popular from the 1890s until the 1940s and was the first revival style based on North American models, which were revivals of earlier forms. It was an effort to move toward more simplified forms and to adapt the forms of earlier architectural styles to contemporary needs. Features of the Colonial Revival style include rectangular plans, symmetrical facades, hipped roofs and restrained classical detailing. The home at 38 Mount Edward Road has all of these characteristics and is a fine example of the style.

The land on which 38 Mount Edward Road was built is located on a traditional route through the Charlottetown Royalty. The Mount Edward Road where it connects with the St. Peters Road was an early focus of development on Prince Edward Island. Well-known artist, Robert Harris, painted a view of the area in 1871. The painting shows local estates Ravenwood and Ardgowan, but little else is in the area but farmland.

Originally part of the Charlottetown Royalty and later the community of Parkdale, the area was incorporated into the boundaries of the City of Charlottetown, when the City amalgamated with its outlying areas in 1995. A well maintained home, it is an asset to the Mount Edward Road streetscape.

Sources: Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the overall two-storey massing of the building
- the wood cladding
- the symmetrical placement and size of the sash windows, particularly the centrally placed palladian style window of the second floor, the fanlight above the front door, the sidelights on either side of the door, the large windows of the porch and the lunette on the north side of the house
- the centrally placed front entrance
- the centrally placed porch with its broken pediment
- the glazed sunporch on the side of the house
- the size, shape and placement of the two brick chimneys



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

City of Charlottetown

Recognition Statute

City of Charlottetown Zoning and Development Bylaw

Recognition Type

Heritage Resource

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type


Single Dwelling


Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Office, City of Charlottetown Planning Department, PO Box 98, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7K2 #0003r

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places