Former Brockville Post Office National Historic Site of Canada
14 Court House Avenue, Brockville, Ontario, K6V, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former Brockville Post Office is a late-19th-century, two-and-a-half-storey, stone building. It is prominently situated in the core of Brockville within a group of 19th-century public buildings. The formal recognition consists of the post office building on the legal property on which it sat at the time of recognition.
The Former Brockville Post Office was designated a national historic site in 1983 because: it is representative of small urban post offices designed by Thomas Fuller; it possesses architectural merit, this is to say it has not undergone major exterior alteration; it possesses integrity, that is to say that its siting is sympathetic.
The Brockville Post Office is a good example of the post offices erected by the Department of Public Works in smaller urban centres during Thomas Fuller's term as Chief Architect (1881-1886).
Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minute, June 1983; Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Plaque Text, June 1986.
Character-defining elements of the Brockville Post Office include:
- its eclectic style, blending Flemish, Queen Anne and classical elements;
- features typical of Fuller-designed buildings, including its: two-and-a-half-storey height; five-bay width; steep roof; round-arched double entrances; and window treatment, with large panes of glass in the lower sash and a multi-paned sash above;
- its symmetrical five-bay arrangement in which a protruding central bay with pedimented gable is flanked by recessed bays and by flanking pavilions with Flemish gables;
- the central raised pediment, which extends through the second floor and is supported by massive stone brackets;
- the rich, textured surfaces created by the smooth-dressed stone detail and trim set against the rusticated stone walls;
- the provision of two entrances for separate access to the ground floor (formerly the post office) and to the second and attic floors (formerly the customs office and caretaker's quarters);
- its tight siting, bordering the sidewalk along the length of the façade;
- its excellent craftsmanship, evident in the superb exterior stonework;
- the lively hues created by the blending of sandstone walls and gables with a copper roof;
- its original exterior materials, comprised of Nepean and Credit Valley red sandstone.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
Theme - Category and Type
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Post Office
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Canadian Inventory of Historic Building Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 25, 25 Eddy Street, Hull, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection