Home / Accueil

St. Mary's Church

Leask RM 464, Saskatchewan, S0J, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1983/01/12

St. Mary's Church, from the northwest; Fedyk, 2008.
St. Mary's Church, 2008
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)

St. Mary's Church
St. Mary's Anglican Church

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1913/01/01 to 1913/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/12

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

St. Mary's Church is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying four hectares of land in the Rural Municipality of Leask No. 464. The property features a small one-storey, wood-frame church built in 1913, located approximately 30 kilometres northeast of the Village of Leask.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. Mary's Church lies in its status as the only remaining building in the Brightholme district. W. O. Paul, a local carpenter constructed the building in 1913 and a vestry was added in 1925. The church held regular services until 1953 and since then has only been used for special occasions.

The heritage value also lies in the association of the property with the English settlers in Brightholme district. Homesteading began in the Brightholme district in 1902 and initially British settlers of several denominations met for services in local homes. In 1912, traveling Anglican missionaries became available in the area and Anglicans decided to build their own church. The church was named St. Mary’s to honour an anonymous donation of $500 to the construction fund by a woman in England, who was known only as Mary.

The heritage value of the building also lies in its architecture and historical integrity dating from its time of construction. The building features a gable roof, pointed-arch windows and a prominent tower. It retains its wood-frame construction, interior wood panelling and window frames.


Rural Municipality of Leask No. 464 Bylaw 3-1983.

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of St. Mary’s Church lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s association with the English settlers and its status as the only remaining building in the Brightholme district, such as its position on its original location;
-those elements that reflect the building’s architecture and historical integrity, such as its gable roof, pointed-arch windows and tower, original wood-frame construction, interior wooden panelling and window frames.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (SK)

Recognition Statute

Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Property

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

W.O. Paul


W.O. Paul

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport Heritage Resources Branch 1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK File: MHP 224

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

MHP 224



Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places