Home / Accueil

Former Elora Drill Shed National Historic Site of Canada

Metcalfe at Clyde Street, Elora, Ontario, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1989/06/22

Side view of the Former Elora Drill Shed, showing its regularly placed multi-pane sash windows and stone construction, 1995.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, J. Butterill, 1995.
Side view
Detail view of the Former Elora Drill Shed, showing the oculus above the central entry, 1995.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, J. Butterill, 1995.
Detail view
No Image

Other Name(s)

Former Elora Drill Shed National Historic Site of Canada
Former Elora Drill Shed
Ancien hangar d'exercices d'Elora
Elora Drill Shed
Manège militaire d'Elora

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1865/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/13

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Former Elora Drill Shed National Historic Site of Canada is a simple single-storey mid 19th-century stone building under a pitched roof. Located in the town of Elora, Ontario, it was built for both military exercises and community use and it contains a large open hall. The designation refers to the building on its lot.

Heritage Value

The Former Elora Drill Shed was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1989 because:
- it is a good representative example from the first stage in the evolution of the Canadian Drill Hall (1863-1871);
- unusually well built, the Former Elora Drill Shed is notable for its classical proportions, the semi-circular fan light over the door and the oculus in the gable.

The Former Elora Drill Shed is a particularly well-built example of the type of drill shed constructed in Canada by rural militia units before the Department of Defence introduced a standard design for such buildings. Although built to a simple open-hall plan, its stone construction and careful finishing raise it above the norm for its time. Intended to serve as both a community hall and a drill hall, today, the Drill Shed remains an integral part of the community in Elora, currently housing the local franchise of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO).

Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, June 1989, June 1993.

Character-Defining Elements

Key features contributing to the heritage value of this site include:
- the rectangular footprint of the original drill shed and its single storey massing under a medium pitched roof;
- its stone construction with wood detailing;
- its regularly placed multi-pane sash windows on each side elevation;
- its gable front façade with central entry flanked by multi-pane sash windows and an oculus above;
- the paneled main door with fanlight;
- the sympathetic design of rear and porch additions;
- its open interior volume;
- the integrity of original interior materials, furnishings and fittings;
- the landscaped site.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1989/06/22

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Military and Defence
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Defence
Armoury or Drill Hall

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

369

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places