Home / Accueil

McDonald House

13, Katherine Street N., Township of Woolwich, Ontario, N0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1989/10/24

Featured is the Katherine Street façade.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Façade, McDonald House, 2007
Of note is the storefront window on the first storey.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Façade and South Elevation, McDonald House, 2007
No Image

Other Name(s)

McDonald House
13 Katherine Street North

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/03/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The McDonald House is located at 13 Katherine Street North, on the west side of Katherine Street North, between Allan and Peel Streets, in the Village of Winterbourne, within the Township of Woolwich. The two-storey yellow-brick building was constructed in circa 1867.

The property was designated, by the Township of Woolwich, in 1989, for its historic or architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 113-89).

Heritage Value

The McDonald House was built, in circa 1867, by Joseph B. Snyder, a local merchant who settled in Winterbourne, in the mid 19th century. The McDonald House is a fine example of a general store and post office, a typical building found in many small villages, such as Winterbourne. The storekeeper-postmaster lived in the upper storey. The building also served as a meeting place for local residents. It was used as a general store and post office, until it was converted to a house, and relocated to an adjacent property, in 1915.

The McDonald House exhibits proportions similar to the Georgian style of architecture. Although originally constructed as a commercial or retail establishment, the two-storey yellow brick building is residential in scale and appearance. The McDonald House is five bays wide and features a side-gable roof. The off-set entrance and first-storey storefront window, reflects the building's function as a general store and post office.

Source: Township of Woolwich By-law 113-89.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the McDonald House include its:
- two-storey yellow brick construction using common English bond brick coursing
- side-gable roof
- original windows on the second-storey
- restored upper balcony woodwork
- chimney on south elevation
- original first-storey large storefront window on the façade




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1989/01/01 to 1989/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce

Function - Category and Type


Single Dwelling


Commerce / Commercial Services
Shop or Wholesale Establishment

Architect / Designer



Joseph B. Snyder

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Township of Woolwich 69 Arthur Street South P.O. Box 158 Elmira, Ontario N3B 2Z6

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places