Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
175 Église Street, Edmundston, New Brunswick, E3V, Canada
Links and documents
1925/01/01 to 1927/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is a large masonry church building located in the City of Edmundston. It is the Episcopal Seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Edmundston.
Built between 1925 and 1927, it first served as a parish church and then as a cathedral when in 1944 it became the Episcopal Seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Edmundston. The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception has and continues to be a spiritual centre in the region. The craftsmanship exhibited in the building in terms of its nature, scale and location, have made it a landmark and focal point.
The original building plans were developed by architects Beaulé and Morissette of Quebec City who employed a blend of Gothic and Romanesque styles. The interior and exterior decorations are the result of numerous professional artisans such as Nincheri, Bonnet, Laporte and Bourgault. In terms of interior building materials, of particular interest is the use of 21 types of stone and marble from Europe, Africa and North America, these combined, result in the associated aesthetic value of the place. Mgr. W.J. Conway instigated the construction of the building as well a number of other buildings in the region.
Source: New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File.
- The imposing nature and scale of the Cathedral in conjunction with its location and context including the adjacent Episcopal Residence.
Exterior elements include:
- tall grey granite facades with architectural detailing;
- two spires well above the roof lines;
- copper sheathed roof and spires;
- front entrance doors with 10 panels and topped by semi circular transom lights.
Interior elements include:
- generous dimensions of nave and transept;
- stained glass windows on the first level produced in the shops of Nincheri, as well as the later stained glass windows on the third level;
- stained glass rose window located in the center of the nave and stained glass rose windows in each transept;
- interior Romanesque elements and decorative detailing employing 21 varieties of stone and marble.
The interior furnishings and elements including:
- decorative medallions in the terrazzo floors of the nave and the choir;
- pulpit in its original location with its spiral staircase; .suspended lights of the central nave;
- marble High Altar, lateral Altars, Holy Table and their arrangement;
- oak pews on hickory bases;
- Stations of the Cross by Jordi Bonnet;
- Baptismal Fonts, one of stone and the other of oak;
- armoire in the Sacristy;
- placement and arrangement of the Casavant organ with its 3500 pipes and 45 organ stops.
Additional contributing elements include:
- Saint-Pierre Chapel sculpted pulpit by P. C. Laporte, and sculpted Stations of the Cross by Medard Bourgault;
- crypt including the cast iron doors and sarcophagi holding the remains of previous Bishops.
Province of New Brunswick
Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(1)
Historic Sites Protection Act – Historic
1944/01/01 to 1944/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Beaulé and Morissette, Quebec
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Branch - Site File 109, Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Cross-Reference to Collection