Centreville United Church
34 Trout Cove Road, Centreville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Centreville United Church is a privately owned property located on Digby Neck, in the community of Centreville. The building is a single storey wood frame structure with a side tower attached to the main nave. Heritage designation for the church is limited to the building and the building footprint.
Centreville United Church is valued as a symbol of the strong Methodist movement of the 1850s in Digby County. The church was built in 1856 by the local Methodist congregation. In 1925 the congregation voted to leave the Methodist Church of Canada join the newly formed United Church of Canada. No longer used and threatened with demolition, the church was purchased by a local member of the community in 1970 and remains a community landmark.
Source: Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby.
Character-defining elements associated with the Centreville United Church include:
- building form and massing of the wooden church with its side tower entrance;
- Gothic windows and wood paneled door;
- slanted cornice.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Commemorative Monument
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Built Heritage Inventory, Office of the Municipality of the District of Digby, P.O. Box 429, Digby, NS B0V 1A0.
Cross-Reference to Collection