32, Gordon Street, City of Guelph, Ontario, N1G, Canada
Unit 344 of the Army, Navy and Air Force
32 Gordon Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Stone Store is located at 32 Gordon Street, at the northeast corner of Farquhar and Gordon Streets, in downtown Guelph. The three-storey limestone commercial building was constructed in 1845.
The property was designated, by the City of Guelph, in 1981, for its historical or architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law (1981)-10832).
The Stone Store was the first major limestone building constructed in the City of Guelph. The three-storey store was erected in 1845 in the town's business centre, now downtown Guelph, by an early local businessmen and noted cattle breeder, F. W. Stone. The Stone family owned the store for approximately 100 years, after which it was taken over by the Pentecostal Church. The property is also significant as the location of Guelph's second log house and the location of the first local Catholic mass and marriage.
The Stone Store is a fine example of the early local craftsmanship and contributes to a strong commercial core in downtown Guelph. Reminiscent of Classical Revival architecture, the building's ashlar-dressed limestone façade is balanced and of simple design. There are four one-storey single-stone block pillars framing the central recessed entrance on the first-storey. The upper-stories feature three windows that are utilitarian and modest in design.
The store underwent a major restoration project in 2004, which converted the upper stories to seven dwelling units, under direction of the Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans, Unit 344, a non-profit organization.
Source: City of Guelph, By-law (1981)-10832.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Stone Store include its:
- limestone construction
- low pitched hip roof
- ashlar-dressed limestone façade
- random-coursed rubble stone construction on the north, east and west elevations
- three windows on the upper stories of the façade
- four one-storey single-stone block pillars on the façade
- centrally recessed entrance
- location on Gordon Street, in Guelph's commercial core
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1981/01/01 to 1981/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
F. W. Stone
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Guelph
Community Design and Development Services
1 Carden Street
Cross-Reference to Collection