Links and documents
1902/01/01 to 1903/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Holy Trinity Church is an intricately detailed one-storey building with a low pitch gable roof, an offset pyramidal roofed bell tower and is clad in clapboard siding. It is located on a quarter section of land near the community of Pine Lake, approximately forty kilometres from the City of Red Deer.
The Holy Trinity Church is significant due to its design, its association with the theme of early development in the Pine Lake area, and its status as an important landmark in the Pine Lake area of Red Deer County.
The Holy Trinity Church is significant for its design. Built between 1902 and 1903, the church's architect was Llewellyn Wilson of Calgary, an accomplished professional who also designed Edmonton's Strathcona Library and Cross House in Calgary. The church is an excellent local example of Carpenter Gothic design and has extensive exterior detailing. The building contract was awarded to John A. Simpson of Innisfail.
The Holy Trinity Church is significant for its association with the theme of early development in the Pine Lake area of Red Deer County. When English brothers Reg, Bert, and Henry Alford arrived to homestead in the area, two of their aunts were concerned about their opportunity to attend church, as there were no churches in the area. The aunts donated funds for the construction of a church. After additional local fundraising, construction began in 1902 on land donated by local resident Mr. Jermyn. The Anglican church served the early community's religious. In 1912 a church bell was purchased. This was the successful culmination of the English country church realized in the Alberta landscape.
The Holy Trinity Church is significant for its status as a landmark in the region of Pine Lake. The Holy Trinity Church was an early public building in the area, contributing to its value and stature in the community. Furthermore, the church is located on a hilltop overlooking Pine Lake, and is visible from a distance.
Source: Red Deer County Bylaw 2009/13 file
The character defining elements as expressed in the form, massing, and materials of the 1902/03 one-storey Holy Trinity Church include:
- low pitch gable roof with cresting along the ridge;
- small, offset intersecting gable roofed entrance with cresting along the ridge;
- exterior bell tower and entrance with flared steep pyramidal roof and Celtic cross on top, round windows on the sides and round panel on the front with Star of David in the centre, rustic and fish scale wooden shingles and sculpted detailing;
- clapboard siding, corner boards and skirt board;
- collar ties in the gable ends;
- small secondary entrance projection along the side with saltbox roof;
- brick chimney;
- stucco finish on the foundation emulating stone;
- pattern, style, and construction of all wooden windows, especially the stained glass windows.
Local Governments (AB)
Historical Resources Act
Municipal Historic Resource
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Red Deer County
Community Services Department
38106 - Range Road 275
Red Deer County, AB T4S 2L9
File: Bylaw 2009/13
Cross-Reference to Collection