Headquarters Road, Courtenay, British Columbia, V9N, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Settlers' Cairn is a stone monument featuring two plaques which commemorate the landing place of the Comox Valley’s first pioneers. This historic place is located along Headquarters Road, at a bend adjacent to the Tsolum River.
The heritage value of the Settlers' Cairn lies in its association with the landing of Courtenay’s first non-aboriginal settlers, who arrived and subsequently pre-empted land in the area in August 1862.
The heritage value of the Settlers' Cairn also resides in its association with the first pioneers who landed at this historic place, including Reginald Pidcock, Reginald Carwithen, Harry Blaksley and John Bailey, who would ultimately pave the way for the social development of Courtenay and surrounding area.
Erected in 1956, the Settlers' Cairn symbolizes an early community effort to recognize and honor its heritage.
Source: City of Courtenay Planning Department
Key elements which define the heritage character of Settlers' Cairn include:
- the situation of the cairn on the original landing place of Courtenay and the surrounding area's first non-aboriginal pioneers
- the stone cairn itself
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.954
Community Heritage Register
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Commemorative Monument
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Courtenay Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection