Home / Accueil

Round Stone Windmill and House National Historic Site of Canada

2500 Don-Quichotte Boulevard, Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot, Quebec, J7V, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1969/10/23

General view of the three-and-a-half storey mill at Round Stone Windmill and House National Historic Sites of Canada, 2004.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 2004.
General view
Side view of Round Stone Windmill and House, showing the rectangular footprint of the house with its one-and-a-half storey massing, 1995.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 1995.
Side view
Side view of Round Stone Windmill and House, showing the tall cylindrical three-and-a-half storey massing of the mill under a high conical cap pierced by triangular dormers, 1995.; Parks Canada Agency / Agence Parcs Canada, 1995.
Side view

Other Name(s)

Round Stone Windmill and House
Moulin rond en pierre et maison
Round Stone Windmill and House National Historic Site of Canada

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1712/01/01 to 1791/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/11/19

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Round Stone Windmill and House National Historic Site of Canada, also known as Parc Historique de la Pointe-du-Moulin, is located next to St. Louis Lake, a flat open site on the eastern point of Notre-Dame-de-l’île-Perrot, Quebec. The site consists of an extremely rare, surviving stone windmill and its associated miller’s house dating from the 18th-century seigniorial regime. Both buildings are of rubblestone solid wall construction with small windows and low doors. Official recognition refers to the windmill, house and its immediate surrounding property.

Heritage Value

The Round Stone Windmill and House was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1969 because:
- it constitutes a good surviving example of the type;
- the association of mill and miller's house is now extremely rare.

The Round Stone Windmill and House has existed as an interdependent building complex since at least the end of the 18th century. The windmill was designed by Stephen Starenky for Joseph Trottier Desruisseaux, who had the windmill constructed in 1712 to enable local residents to grind wheat into flour. The miller’s house dates from the 1712-1791 period, possibly originating at the same time as the mill. Their heritage value resides in their in-situ survival as a building complex and in the individual structures as examples of an early type of construction.

Sources: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minutes, May 1969, October 1969.

Character-Defining Elements

Key features contributing to the heritage character of this site include:
- its location on the most eastern point of Notre-Dame-de-l’île-Perrot, Québec;
- its setting on a point of land overlooking St. Louis Lake;
- the integrity of the building complex in its setting;
- the tall cylindrical three-and-a-half storey massing of the mill under a high conical cap pierced by triangular dormers;
- the rectangular footprint of the house with its one-and-a-half storey massing under a hipped roof with slightly flared eaves over projecting single storey wings on three sides;
- the rubblestone solid wall construction materials of both the house and the mill;
- evidence of the early construction such as heavy returned eaves on the house, the small windows and low doors on both buildings;
- the presence of wood sheathing on the exterior of the house and the interior of the mill;
- the presence of a windmill and mill mechanisms on the tower,
- evidence of the long term use and evolving layouts of the mill and the house, interior and exterior;
- evidence of interior furnishings and fittings in either building, including panelled doors, louvered windows, early hardware, interior beams, shutters, flooring, wall and stair materials;
- evidence of long term patterns of circulation, access and egress within each building, and between the buildings;
- the relationship between the windmill and the house on the site;
- viewscapes from the site across St. Louis Lake to the St. Lawrence River.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Federal

Recognition Authority

Government of Canada

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites and Monuments Act

Recognition Type

National Historic Site of Canada

Recognition Date

1969/10/23

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Extraction and Production
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Leisure
Museum

Historic

Industry
Food and Beverage Manufacturing Facility
Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

Stephen Starenky

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

666

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places