Home / Accueil

Judges' House

85, Essex, Town of Goderich, Ontario, N7A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1986/07/22

Featured is the symmetrical three-bay façade.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Façade, Judges' House, 2007
Of note is one of the three cross gables.; Kayla Jonas, 2007.
Northwest Corner, Judges' House, 2007
No Image

Other Name(s)

Judges' House
85 Essex Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1877/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Judges' House is on the east side of Essex Street, south of Elgin Avenue West, in the Town of Goderich. The two-and-a-half-storey white brick residence was constructed in 1877.

The property was designated by the Town of Goderich in 1986 for heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 81 of 1986).

Heritage Value

The Judges' House is significant for its association with the judges who presided over Huron County from 1867 to 1978. Four Judges resided successively in this residence for just over 100 years: Wilmot Squier, who built the residence in 1877, followed by James Masson, E.N. Lewis (also a Member of Parliament) and Glenn Hays.

The house has a simple façade that derives its elegance from the symmetry of the three bays. The symmetry is further emphasized by the square bay windows at the first storey as well as the porch (later addition) under the central gable. The massing is lightened by the delicacy of the wooden bargeboards and rails over the bay windows. The large setback of the house and its situation on a corner lot in close proximity to the lake, also contributes to the historic character of the Judges' House.

Source: Town of Goderich, By-law 81 of 1986.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements to the heritage value of the Judges' House include its:
- two-and-a-half storey construction
- white brick exterior
- two brick chimneys
- symmetrical three-bay façade
- decorative bargeboards and rails
- hip roof including three cross gables
- square bay windows, topped by decorative rails
- porch under the centre gable
- keystones and voussoirs
- porthole windows on second storey
- location on a corner lot, set-back from the road
- close proximity to the lake

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Ontario

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date

1986/07/22

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Security and Law
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of Goderich Town Hall 57 West Street Goderich, Ontario N7A 2K5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

HPON08-0078

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places