Home / Accueil

Garvey House

97, St. Patrick, Town of Goderich, Ontario, N7A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1981/09/09

Of note is the porch addition which covers the original post office sidewalk.; Kayla Jonas, 2008.
Northwest Corner, Garvey House, 2008
Of note is the concrete veneer that has been scored to resemble ashlar.; Kayla Jonas, 2008.
Facade, Garvey House, 2008
No Image

Other Name(s)

Garvey House
97 St. Patrick Street

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Garvey House, located at 97 St. Patrick Street, is on the south side of St. Patrick Street, west of Waterloo Street North, in the Town of Goderich. The one-and-a-half-storey concrete veneer residence was constructed circa 1850.

The property was designated by the Town of Goderich in 1981 for its historic value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 81-50).

Heritage Value

The Garvey House, at 97 St. Patrick Street, reflects the early commercial and institutional history of the Town of Goderich. It is associated with original owner Andrew Garvey, a cooper for the salt, fish and hide trades in Goderich. The property was subsequently owned by Jacob Seegmiller, a noted local tanner, trader and land owner in the mid-19th century Goderich. Between 1879 and 1890 the building was owned by John Breckenridge and served as the Goderich Post Office.

The Garvey House is in a neighbourhood of older residences in northwest Goderich, including the designated Seegmiller house at 87 St. Patrick Street, which was also owned by Jacob Seegmiller.

Constructed circa 1850, the Garvey House is a good representation of Ontario vernacular. The house is characterized by the one-and-a-half storey facade with sharply pitched centre gable roof, ornamented with detailed bargeboard, over a single upper central window with gothic arch. Unique to the house is the concrete veneer over red brick exterior that has been scored to resemble ashlar. A more recent addition encloses the original sidewalk which led to the post office entrance with the words “Post Office” engraved into the concrete.

Source: Town of Goderich By-law 81-50.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Garvey House include its:
- extant sidewalk to original post office entrance, now located under porch addition, with the words “Post Office” engraved into the concrete
- one-and-a-half-storey brick construction, covered with a scored concrete veneer
- gable roof
- sharply pitched centre gable
- ornamental bargeboard
- centre upper-storey gothic window and drip mould
- concrete keystone radiating voussoirs
- concrete sills
- four over four windows

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Ontario

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date

1981/09/09

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Trade and Commerce
Governing Canada
Government and Institutions

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Government
Post Office
Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Town of Goderich Town Hall 57 West Street Goderich, Ontario N7A 2K5

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

HPON08-0077

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places