191, Britannia, Town of Goderich, Ontario, N7A, Canada
191 Britannia Road West
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Hutchinson House, located at 191 Britannia Road West, is on the south side of Britannia Road West where Wellesley Street terminates, in the Town of Goderich. The two storey grey brick, Georgian style residence was constructed circa 1853.
The property was designated by the Town of Goderich in 1978 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-Law 7 of 1978).
The Hutchinson House is an excellent example of a mid-19th century Georgian style residence. Charles Hutchinson bought the property in 1853 and built the house circa 1855. Typical of the Georgian style the residence has a symmetrical three bay façade and hipped roof. Significant architectural features include the locally produced grey brick, the smaller second floor windows, the adjustable louvered shutters and the semi-circular portico over the entrance supported by Doric columns.
The Hutchinson House, located on Britannia Road West at the end of Wellesley Street, closes the vista down Wellesley Street in a handsome manner, making a significant contribution to the heritage character of the area.
Source: Town of Goderich, By-Law 7 of 1978.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Hutchinson House include its:
- symmetrical three bay façade
- hipped roof
- two storey grey buff brick exterior
- small second storey windows
- 6 over 6 windows, flanked by louvered shutters
- semi-circle hood above entrance, supported by Doric columns
- rectangular sidelights and transom around entrance
- two brick chimneys
- prominent location at the end of Wellesley Street
- views of the house south along Wellesley Street
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Goderich
57 West Street
Cross-Reference to Collection