9690, Regional Road 25, Town of Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
9690 Regional Road 25
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Duff House, located at 9690 Regional Road 25, is on the west side of Regional Road 25 in the Town of Halton Hills. The two storey limestone and granite house was constructed circa 1870.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 1993 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 1993-0209).
The Duff House is associated with the Duff family, a prominent local family in the area in the 19th century. The house was originally built for James Duff but passed to James Duff Junior upon his death. James Junior was an elder with the United Presbyterian congregation in the Scotch Block. He remained in that office until the congregation united with the Free Church congregation in 1900.
The Duff House, built circa 1870, is a good example of a typical southern Ontario farmhouse in the Gothic revival style. The house is constructed of stone with a dominant centre gable, limestone lintels, quoins and sills, gable dormers and gothic windows. The house is distinguished by a lancet window located in the dominant central gable above the front door. The front door is highlighted by a flat, multi-light transom and side lights.
Source: Town of Halton Hills By-law 1993-0209.
Character defining elements that contribute to the design or physical value of the Duff House include its:
- two storey limestone and granite exterior
- gable roof with centre gable
- limestone lintels, quoins and sills
- lancet window
- gothic windows
- flat, multi-light transom and sidelights
- original fireplace
- ceiling logs
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Cross-Reference to Collection