14 Mile House
Links and documents
1860/01/01 to 1860/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Manson House is a one-and-a-half storey, vernacular style house located at 1384 Highway No. 7, North Lochaber, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia. The setting is picturesque with mature trees, a small stream and the Lochaber Lake. The house and surrounding property are included in the municipal designation.
The Manson House is valued for its association with Alexander Manson. Manson was born at Lochaber in 1841, one of eight children of George Manson and Elizabeth McLaughlin. He was married at Antigonish to Catherine Cameron of Barney’s River, Pictou County on Dec 11, 1866 and raised a family of six children. Alexander Manson died at Antigonish Jan 14, 1925. He served as a Justice of the Peace for the Lochaber, Antigonish County district. Alexander Manson constructed the Manson home for his family and to accommodate his business enterprises. The materials were local, including the square head nails, lumber planking for walls and ceilings.
As a young man Alexander Manson followed the trade of his father. About 1860 he established “Oak Dell” a carriage building shop at North Lochaber, Antigonish County and acquired a reputation for producing a quality product. He worked closely with George Sinclair, a blacksmith whose property was nearby. Their trades complemented one another and their clientele were from across all of eastern Nova Scotia.
The Manson House is valued for the role it played as the “way-office” for the Lochaber district. Alexander Manson was appointed way-office keeper in 1878 and served in that capacity for the next forty years. The ground floor of his carriage shop was arranged to accommodate space for his post office. He was succeeded in the position by his son George. A visit to the Manson House was a regular stop for most people of Lochaber and surrounding countryside.
The Manson House was also well known as the “14 Mile House”. It served as a stagecoach stop offering food and accommodation beginning about the year 1860 and continuing for the next 30 years. Alexander Manson added a one room kitchen to the back of the house to accommodate the enterprise. It was a welcome stop for people traveling between Antigonish and Sherbrooke.
The Manson House is valued for it being a well maintained example of vernacular architecture. It features rear and side additions which include a one-storey ell and a two-storey salt box roof with a large, irregular overhang. The entrance features a welcoming portico with transom and sidelights. One of the few embellishments is the decorative eave detailing.
Source: Registered heritage property file no. 5833.
Character-defining elements of the Manson House include:
- steep pitch gable roof with projecting eaves;
- plain six-over-six windows;
- unadorned clapboard siding with minimal trim;
- three-light transom with sidelights;
- two-storey side addition with symmetrical façade, central door and salt box shaped roof;
- six bay façade (including the side addition façade);
- one-and-one half storey rear addition with central entrance;
- two central chimneys (one on the side addition);
- temple plan portico.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
1860/01/01 to 1890/01/01
1878/01/01 to 1925/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Eating or Drinking Establishment
- Communications Facility
- Wood and/or Paper Manufacturing Facility
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Municipality County of Antigonish Registered Heritage Property file no. 5833.
Cross-Reference to Collection