St. Mary's Acadian School
Millvale Road Acadian School
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This former school is located in a rural setting in St. Ann. It has a wood frame with wood shingle cladding. The gable roof has a brick chimney. Several six-over-six windows have shutters. A gable roofed porch with a pair of two-over-two windows is located on the south side of the building. An original three door outhouse is located near the property.
The former St. Mary's Acadian School is valued for its association with the history of education in PEI, for its importance to the history of the Acadians of PEI, and for its contribution to the community of St. Ann.
The school opened in 1855 as the Millvale Road Acadian School to educate local Acadian children. The first visitation report notes there were 28 boys and 17 girls then enrolled. The first teacher was Joseph Doirant.
By 1861, its name had changed to St. Mary's Acadian School. It was then one of eighteen rural schools on the Island where the French language was taught in addition to English. The school inspector noted in 1867 that "the students read very well for French children..." It was also noted that the building was in good condition, but the classroom had "no map of the Island."
A long serving teacher at the school was Helen Gallant, who taught from 1921 into the 1940s. The school remained open until consolidation in 1965. At that time, only grades three and four were being taught in the building.
The property was then purchased by a local carpenter who sold it to Donald Paolucci of Connecticut. The current owners purchased it from him in 1970 and have since enjoyed it as a summer home.
The building remains on its original site with a stone foundation. Renovations over the years have included the removal of an interior ceiling in 1971, repairs as a result of fire damage in 1976, replacement of the south windows in 2003, and the addition of a new asphalt roof in 2005.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S29
The heritage value of the former school is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the wood frame construction and stone foundation
- the wood shingle cladding with weathered appearance
- the six-over-six and two-over-two windows
- the shutters
- the gable roof with brick chimney
- the entrance porch on the south elevation
- the three door outhouse on the property
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/S29
Cross-Reference to Collection