Links and documents
1908/01/01 to 1912/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Joseph's Glebe House is a two-storey, Second Empire style house in St. Joseph's, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia. The setting is pastoral with a view overlooking St. Joseph's Lake. Completed in 1912, both the house and surrounding property are included in the muncipal designation.
St. Joseph’s Glebe House is significant for its association with the Roman Catholic Parish at St. Joseph's, Antigonish County. It provided accomodation to parish priests and their household staff. On occasion, the local teacher might find room and board here. Its proximity to the church made it a convenient location to host visting religious and other dignitaries.
In 1908, the pastor and parishioners determined a new glebe house was required. A letter requesting approval of the project was written to Bishop John Cameron who responded with the following "I hereby approve of your project. Let the building be comfortable, up to date and durable". The parish had little money to build this new glebe, so it was decided that $5 would be contributed from each household for the years 1909, 1910, 1911, and 1912 towards construction costs. Fundraising efforts were supported by former parishioners living in Boston. In 1911 their efforts resulted in a cheque for $171.48 being issued to St. Joseph's Parish. The new glebe house was completed in 1912.
St. Joseph's Glebe was used as a temporary site for religious services when on January 19, 1926, the St. Joseph's Church was destroyed by fire. Two masses were held each Sunday for the following year in the Glebe House. A native son of the St. Joseph's Parish was ordained to the Holy Priesthood on May 30, 1926. Rev George MacLean had the distinction of celebrating his first Solemn High Mass on the veranda of the glebe house.
St. Joseph’s Glebe House is valued for retaining its original Second Empire design and architectural detail. The two-storey house features tall plain windows, a projecting central tower, mansard roof and three covered verandas with decorative trim. Extensive upgrading and repair took place to the glebe in 1969, but a few short years later, the parish determined that the house was too large and costly to maintain. The St. Joseph's Glebe house was sold privately in 1973.
Source: Municipality County of Antigonish, Heritage Property file no. 456
Character-defining elements of St. Joseph’s Glebe House include:
- four bay façade;
- three covered verandas with supporting posts and decorative trim;
- Mansard roof with seven dormers;
- pediments above each dormer;
- tall, slender, discreetly placed chimneys;
- projecting central tower with a steeply pitched hip roof;
- tall, plain windows, some with surround mouldings.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Municipality of the County of Antigonish, 285 Beech Hill Road, Antigonish, NS. B2G 2L4, Heritage Property file no. 456
Cross-Reference to Collection