0, Harpurhey Road, Municipality of Huron East, Ontario, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Harpurhey Cemetery is on the east side of Harpurhey Road, in Harpurhey Hamlet, in the Municipality of Huron East. The cemetery was established in 1848.
The property was designated, by the former Town of Seaforth (now Municipality of Huron East) in 1986, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 35-1986.
Harpurhey Cemetery is a good representation of nineteenth century cemetery design. It is characterised by a naturalistic setting to attract and comfort the living. The use of markers and monuments perpetuates the memory of individuals of historic importance. The park-like layout encourages public use. True to the original plan, gravesites are placed with separate individual markers.
The United Presbyterian congregations of McKillop and Tuckersmith established the Harpurhey Cemetery in 1848. The cemetery is associated with the area's earliest pioneers. The earliest grave dates to 1839. In 1978 a stone cairn was dedicated to commemorate the pioneers who worshipped in the area.
Source: Town of Seaforth, By-law 35-1986.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Harpurhey Cemetery include its:
- stone cairn
- park-like layout including mature trees
- monuments and markers representing a range of size, styles, materials and symbolism
- individual grave markers with their surviving inscriptions
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Municipality of Huron East
72 Main Street
P.O. Box 610
Cross-Reference to Collection