112 1st Avenue W, Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan, S0H, Canada
Links and documents
1918/01/01 to 1918/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Bishop's Residence is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying two parcels of land in Gravelbourg. It is a three-storey house built of Claybank brick located at 112-1st Avenue West in Gravelbourg.
The heritage value of the Bishop's Residence lies in its association with the establishment of the Gravelbourg Diocese in 1930. The founding of Gravelbourg's own diocese on January 31, 1930 made it unique among other French-Roman Catholic parishes throughout the province. The establishment of the parish is largely attributed to Father Louis Joseph Pierre Gravel, the founding father of the community that bears his name. Born in 1868, Gravel is considered the missionary responsible for the establishment of francophone colonization efforts in southwest Saskatchewan. Although Gravel never officially lived in the Bishop's Residence, the building symbolizes the importance of Gravelbourg within the diocese.
The heritage value of the Bishop's Residence also lies in its association with the residence's proximity to La Cathedral. The proximity of the house (located only a few metres from the Gravelbourg Cathedral) illustrates the prominence of the Bishop's Residence in relation to other homes throughout the community.
The historical significance of the Bishop's Residence also lies in its architecture. The three-storey, brick structure was originally built as a rectory in 1918 and became the Bishop's official residence in 1930. The residence is one of the largest in the community and is an example of the Classical Revival architectural style that was popular throughout North America in the early 1900's. Its semi-circular porch, two-storey bay windows, and Claybank brick structure reflect the Church's prominence in the community.
Source: Town of Gravelbourg Bylaw No. 790/84.
The heritage value of the former Bishop's Residence resides in the following character defining elements:
-those features that reflect the Classical architectural style, including the symmetrical façade on the main entrance of the building, the six columns supporting the semi-circular porch, the two-storey bay windows that adorn the front of the residence, the two chimneys flanking either end of the residence and the use of Claybank brick as the primary building material;
-those features that speak to the building's prominence in the community, such as its location immediately west of La Cathedral on the Church grounds.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1930/01/01 to 1930/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Fortin, Joseph Ernest
Location of Supporting Documentation
Department of Culture, Youth and Recreation
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive Regina, SK
File: MHP 791
Cross-Reference to Collection