Home / Accueil

Union Point United Church

Morris, Manitoba, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2009/04/08

Primary elevations, from the southwest, of Union Point United Church, Morris area, 2009; Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 2009
Primary Elevations
Interior view of Union Point United Church, Morris area, 2009; Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 2009
No Image

Other Name(s)

Union Point United Church
Union Point Church
Église d'Union Point

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1940/01/01 to 1940/12/31

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/02/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Union Point United Church, a small wooden country church built in 1940, is set on open space between the north- and southbound lanes of Highway 75, about six kilometres south of Ste. Agathe. The municipal designation applies to the church, an adjacent cemetery and the grounds they occupy.

Heritage Value

Union Point United Church and its cemetery are significant as the last built features that remain on the original site of the former Union Point settlement. The cemetery's earliest burial, from 1879, recalls the agricultural community's pioneer origins. The landmark building, an enduringly simple Gothic Revival-style structure that succeeded an 1887 Presbyterian facility, likewise serves as a prominent and poignant memorial to Union Point because of its dramatic location between the lanes of one of the busiest divided highways in southern Manitoba.

Source: Rural Municipality of Morris By-law No. 1635/08, April 8, 2009

Character-Defining Elements

Key elements that define the heritage character of the Union Point United Church site include:
- the building's placement on an expanse of open field between the north- and southbound lanes of Highway 75 on land formerly part of the Union Point settlement south of Ste. Agathe
- the cemetery with burials and markers

Key exterior elements that define the building as an uncomplicated Gothic Revival-style country church include:
- the compact rectangular form, of wood-frame construction, with a steeply pitched side-gable roof and off-centre entrance porch under a lower cross-gable roof
- the stout, off-centre wooden belfry, including its square base, pointed arch openings, pavilion roof, etc.
- the pointed Gothic windows, including single tall rectangular openings at the front and rear, the large east-end window with lancets and multifoil transom and the door's pointed arch transom
- the classic materials, finishes and details, including horizontal clapboard siding and plain wood trim painted white, exposed rafter ends, Y-tracery, a brick chimney, etc.

Key internal elements that define the church's heritage character include:
- the open floor plan
- the modest materials and finishes, including wood flooring, varnished wood trim, etc.




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (MB)

Recognition Statute

Manitoba Historic Resources Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Site

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type


Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship


Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

RM of Morris 207 Main Street North PO Box 518 Morris MB R0G 1K0

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places