Home / Accueil

Sainte-Anne-de-Beaumont Chapel

643 Beaumont Road, Memramcook, New Brunswick, E4K, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2005/01/01

Illustrates the chapel’s simple design based on the Georgian style with its exterior covering of clapboard.; PNB 2004
Side view of the building
Illustrates the building's façade featuring a bull’s-eye window above the main entrance and the bell tower with cross.; PNB 2004
Front and side exterior view of the building
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1842/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/11/25

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Sainte-Anne-de-Beaumont Chapel Provincial Historic Site consists of a property including a Roman Catholic church and cemetary located on a small hill overlooking the Petitcodiac River on an old First Nations Reserve in the present village of Memramcook.

Heritage Value

Built in 1842 by the Mi’kmaq people in collaboration with local Acadians, the Sainte-Anne-de-Beaumont Chapel is the oldest chapel used for worship by the Mi’kmaq of New Brunswick. It examplifies the relations that existed between the Acadians, the Catholic Church, and the Mi’kmaq at that time. The first mass in the chapel was celebrated by the builder and priest Reverend Ferdinand Gauvreau. For more than 150 years, mass has been celebrated in the chapel on July 26, the feast day of St. Ann, patron saint of the Mi’kmaq. The chapel’s simple design is based on the Georgian style. Master carpenter Hilaire Arsenault oversaw construction of the building. Source: New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 38.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of the church include: - the Gothic Revival pointed arch tracery inserted in a roman arched frame; The façade featuring a bull’s-eye window above the main entrance with a bell tower. The bell tower with at its top a cross; - the exterior covering of clapboard; - the interior was restored in 1900; - the pews and the gallery date from the early 20th century; - the high altar; - the cellar entrance and vestibule additions; - the cornerstone engraved with the date 1842 is visible.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Province of New Brunswick

Recognition Statute

Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(1)

Recognition Type

Historic Sites Protection Act – Historic

Recognition Date

2005/01/01

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions
Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Aboriginal Sacred Site
Community
Cultural Space

Historic

Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

Reverend Ferdinand Gauvreau

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File # 38

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

38

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places