Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The large imposing Roman Catholic church of Notre Dame du Mont Carmel is a late Victorian Gothic brick structure situated by the sea in Mont Carmel, PEI. It is built in the classic "T" formation with two bell towers at the corners of the front of the building. The registration includes the footprint of the building.
As the third Roman Catholic church constructed on this site since 1812, Notre Dame du Mont Carmel is significant as the spiritual home of many Acadian families in the Mont Carmel area of PEI.
It was built in 1898 from funds raised by the parishoners and the work was completed by many local artisans, including Anglophones who were not members of the parish. All of the estimated 450,000 bricks were made nearby at Frederick Strong's brickyard in Lower Bedeque.
The architect for the design was Rene P. Lemay, the son of Pamphile Lemay, who had translated Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's influential 1847 poem, "Evangeline", in 1865. The centennary of the building was celebrated in 1998.
Source: PEI Heritage Advisory Committee Files
The heritage value of the church is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the solid brick construction
- the red Island sandstone foundation
- the Gothic inspired traceried windows, ribs, and stone lacework
- the circular rose windows
- the lancet windows
- the central door with its rose window and two sculpted heads
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/N4
Cross-Reference to Collection