Maple Grove Farm
Rev. Peter McIntyre's Parochial House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
This wood framed one-and-one-half storey asymmetrical house is located in Tignish, about 300 metres north of St. Simon and St. Jude Roman Catholic Church. It has wood shingle cladding, a gable roofline, shed dormers, and a small verandah on the front elevation. Set back on its lot with a backdrop of trees, the residence also features original rectangular windows with caps.
The house is valued for its unusual architectural style; for its historical association with Rev. Peter McIntyre; and for its contribution to the streetscape.
Rev. Peter McIntyre (1818-1891) was born in Cable Head, PEI and ordained in Quebec in 1843. He was appointed to Tignish in 1844 as the first resident priest. McIntyre oversaw the construction of the nearby St. Simon and St. Jude Church from 1859-1860. He purchased fifty acres in 1855-1856 at which time, he constructed the the current house. In addition to the Tignish church, he commissioned several other West Prince churches, including St. Mark's in Lot 7 and the Brae Church in 1848. These were among the twenty-five new churches, twenty-one presbyteries, and eight convents constructed during his tenure.
In May 1860, MacIntyre was appointed the third Bishop of Charlottetown. During his time as bishop, the Charlottetown Hospital was established and staffed by the Sisters of Charity from Quebec. The Notre Dame Convent also began and St. Dunstan's College received his support and encouragement and was rebuilt in brick. In 1868, McIntyre was among those attending the First Vatican Council in Rome. In 1875, he had a new official residence, the Bishop's Palace, constructed in Charlottetown.
McIntyre sold his house in Tignish around 1882 to Alexander MacFadyen who managed Myrick's Store in Tignish. He and the pastor of St. Simon and St. Jude Church established a cheese factory in 1889 which was supplied by 130 dairy farms in the area. The cheese factory remained in production until destroyed by fire in 1964. The two men also helped local farmers to create the Tignish and Palmer Road Dairying Association.
In the 1950s and 1960s, it was owned by Kevin Perry who sold it in 1966 to Elizabeth Cran, a former teacher, professor, and author. She had a small sheep and goat farm on the property until 2008, when she sold it to the current owners.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A43
The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-and-one-half storey massing and rectangular footprint
- the asymmetrical design
- the wood shingle cladding
- the intersecting gable roofs
- the brick chimney
- the shed dormers
- the rectangular windows with decorative caps
- the wide cornice and eave returns
- the covered porch / verandah on the front elevation
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A43
Cross-Reference to Collection