Home / Accueil

St. Anthony's Parish House

37947 Western Road - Route 2, Woodstock, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/03/11

Showing east elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Showing east elevation
Showing north elevation; Province of PEI, Faye Pound, 2009
Showing north elevation
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1877/01/01 to 1879/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2010/03/31

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

This Centre Gable Gothic Revival style parish house is located next to St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church. It sits on a hill overlooking the Mill River Provincial Park, the Bloomfield Park, and the headwaters of the Mill River. Many original elements of the design remain intact including the wide cornice and eave returns, the window caps, and the decorative verandah.

Heritage Value

The parish house is valued for its well preserved Gothic Revival elements; its association with the history of the Parish of St. Anthony; and for its contribution to the streetscape.

Construction of the house began in 1877 under the direction of Rev. Stanislaus Boudreault after the completion of parish church. It was completed in 1879 under the direction of Rev. Felix Von Blerk. The entire project was the pride of the community and was completed free of debt.

The interior of the home which was completed during the time of Rev. F.X. Gallant was accomplished with funds raised by parish picnics, pew rentals, and from cutting and selling wood.

The parish house was used from 1879 to 2008 when the parishes of Alberton and Bloomfield were amalgamated. At that time, Alberton became the principle residence of the parish priest. The property is well maintained and remains an asset to the community.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/A42

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:

- the two-and-one-half storey massing and wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the centre gable roof with wide cornice and eave returns
- the symmetrical arrangement of the windows with prominent caps
- the wraparound decorative verandah
- the kitchen wing at the back of the house with steeply pitched wall dormer



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Building Social and Community Life
Religious Institutions

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8 File #: 4310-20/A42

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places

Showing front elevation

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church, Bloomfield

St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church was constructed in the late 19th century in the French Gothic style. It stands near the source of the Mill River at the intersection of the…


Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places