Home / Accueil

Ramsay Stone House

590 Beech Point Road, Hamilton, Prince Edward Island, C0B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2010/06/03

East elevation; Province of PEI, F. Pound, 2009
East elevation
West elevation; Province of PEI, F. Pound, 2009
West elevation
West elevation detail; Province of PEI, F. Pound, 2009
West elevation detail

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2011/11/30

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Ramsay Stone House is a well-preserved example of a rare Prince Edward Island sandstone house. Located on Beech Point Road in Hamilton, it is the only surviving example of a sandstone constructed house in Prince County.

Heritage Value

Ramsay Stone House is valued as a rare example of a sandstone house in Prince Edward Island, for its association with the Ramsay family in Hamilton, and their Scottish heritage.

Norman McLeod Ramsay (d. 1860) began construction on the stone house on a site close to the original Ramsay homestead possibly as early as 1852, but it was certainly near completion by 1855. Norman McLeod Ramsay was the grandson of John Ramsay who emigrated from Scotland on the "Annabella" in 1770. John Ramsay and family first settled in Princetown and relocated to Hamilton in 1794. The Ramsay farm in Hamilton was known as Beech Point Farm, named for the trees in the area. In 1860, with the house nearing completion, Norman Ramsay was injured while working on the house and died shortly after due to complications surrounding the injury. The house passed to his brother, Hugh Ramsay and later to nephew, Archibald Ramsay. The house remains with the 6th generation of the Ramsay family.

This stone house with centre-hall plan reflects the Scottish roots of the Ramsay family and heritage of stone-masonry. The walls are 24 inches thick and built from stone quarried about 600 yards from the house. The house features large stone lintels and windowsills made from a single piece of stone and eave returns on the north and south elevations. The interior roof is made from large hand-hewn hemlock beams and boards.

Interior and exterior renovations have been made by the current owner. In the 1970s, the wood-clad kitchen wing was removed from the western elevation, new windows were installed into the original openings and the interior of the house was gutted, insulated and refinished. In the 1980s, a two-storey porch was removed from the east elevation.

The Ramsay Stone House continues to be an important landmark in the community of Hamilton.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE
File #: 4310-20/R2

Character-Defining Elements

The heritage value of the house is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the Prince Edward Island sandstone construction
- the size and placement of the window and door openings
- the front entrance door with transom and side lights
- the large stone lintels and windowsills
- the pitch of the roof
- the eave returns
- the wood shingled dormers on the east and west elevations
- the stringcourse detailing on the east elevation of the house



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type



Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE File #: 4310-20/R2

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places