Home / Accueil

Souris Historic Lighthouse

134 Breakwater Street, Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2011/11/01

Souris Historic Lighthouse; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2011
Souris Historic Lighthouse
Souris East Lighthouse, 1923; PARO/PEI Acc. 3466/HF77.239.1
Souris East Lighthouse, 1923
Lantern and observation deck; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2011
Lantern and observation deck

Other Name(s)

Souris Historic Lighthouse
Souris East Lighthouse

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2012/01/23

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Souris Historic Lighthouse overlooks Souris Harbour on a point of land in the Town of Souris in eastern Prince Edward Island. It is a white wood shingled three-storey tapered tower topped by a round red iron lantern. It features distinctive decorative brackets under the eaves of the observation deck which has a red painted railing.

Heritage Value

Souris Historic Lighthouse is valued for its architectural style; its association with the maritime history of the Town of Souris; and for its contribution to the visual landscape of the area.

Designed by the Department of Marine and Fisheries in 1880, the Souris East Lighthouse, as it was known, was built by Peter Aylward. It stands 18.5 m or 60 feet high. It once had an extensive attached dwelling house and other outbuildings, but the dwelling was removed in 1959. These additions can be seen in an archival photograph of the building dated 1923.

The lighthouse became automated in 1961, when Souris East became one of only four in Canada to have a 400 Watt mercury vapour light installed. These lamps later became the standard.

The lighthouse remains an important symbol for the Town of Souris, which prominently features it on their municipal shield and flag. The lighthouse continues to fulfill a vital role. The port of Souris is home to many local vessels and is the location of the ferry service to Quebec's Magdeline Islands.

The Souris Historic Lighthouse is open to visitors and houses an interpretive centre telling the stories of the lighthouse, the Souris port and sea glass.

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE
File #: 4320-20/S7

Character-Defining Elements

The following character-defining elements illustrate the heritage value of the Souris East Lighthouse:

- the tapered three-storey wood-framed tower clad in wooden shingles and painted white
- the unique round iron lantern topping the tower with exterior railing on the observation deck, all painted red
- the distinctive decorative brackets painted red and located under the observation deck
- the rows of vertically alligned four over four windows in the tower all with pedimented roof caps
- the entrance door to the tower with a gabled roof
- the stone foundation

Other character-defining elements include:

- the location of the lighthouse on the coastline above red sandstone cliffs near the Town of Souris



Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Designated Historic Place

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)


Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Communications and Transportation

Function - Category and Type


Tourist Facility


Navigational Aid or Lighthouse

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE File #: 4320-20/S7

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places