Home / Accueil

Peter MacCallum House

89 Bay Shore Road, St. Peters Bay, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2003/06/25

West and south elevations; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2012
West and south elevations
South elevation; Province of PEI, C. Stewart, 2012
South elevation
Kinloch Cottage, undated; Private collection
Kinloch Cottage, undated

Other Name(s)

Peter MacCallum House
Kinloch Cottage

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1828/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/11/22

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Peter MacCallum House is located in the picturesque village of St. Peter's Bay, PEI, with a prominent view of the bay. It is a two storey home with a pitched cross gable roof. The current condition of the house has been greatly modified from its original appearance. It originally had Classic Revival elements of: a paneled entrance door with upper fanlights and a large palladian window in the second storey above the entrance. Today, only the original sandstone cellar and the location of the windows remains unaltered.

Heritage Value

The significance of the house is derived from its age and its association with the early Scots settlers of the Head of St. Peter's Bay. The house is believed to be the oldest house in the St. Peter's Bay village and was constructed around the year 1828 by Peter MacCallum (1800-1868). The family is said to have lived in the sandstone cellar before the house was built. MacCallum arrived on the Island in 1828 from Nova Scotia with his wife, Susanna Ford Cutler. He originally had come from Ross-shire Scotland in 1815. As a child, he had attended the Tain Academy and was a classmate of the famous Scottish geologist, Hugh Miller (1802-1856).

In PEI, MacCallum operated a general store and gained influence from shipping enterprises. He entered politics in the 1830s and occupied many influential positions including: High Sheriff of Kings County, Commissioner of Small Debts, Commissioner of Highways, Justice of the Peace, Lieut. Colonel of the Militia, and Member of the Legislative Assembly.

He was a strong advocate of land reform in the colony and was a member of William Cooper's "Escheat Party".

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE
File # : 4310-20/M4

Character-Defining Elements

The elements which have been preserved include:

- the original sandstone cellar with chimney and white plastered walls
- the size and placement of the remaining windows
- the cross gable roof design

Recognition

Jurisdiction

Prince Edward Island

Recognition Authority

Province of Prince Edward Island

Recognition Statute

Heritage Places Protection Act

Recognition Type

Registered Historic Place

Recognition Date

2003/06/25

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Peopling the Land
Settlement
Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design

Function - Category and Type

Current

Historic

Residence
Single Dwelling

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Source: Culture and Heritage Division, Department of Tourism and Culture, Charlottetown, PE File # : 4310-20/M4

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

4310-20/M4

Status

Published

Related Places

n/a

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places